Author Topic: Can't search on certain fields in Spotlight  (Read 1918 times)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
Can't search on certain fields in Spotlight
« on: February 17, 2011, 07:40:19 AM »
I have reviewed the manual and in the section on (Mac) Spotlight searches, it gives a list of the fields available to be searched on in Edit/Search. I notice that there are many fields missing out of the list. As one example, City, State and Country are there but not Location. This is a curious one as in the Stationary Pad, these fields are all together with no indication that some are available for Spotlight searches and others aren't. Am I on the right track here? Are fields like Location not available to Spotlight searches? What other fields in the Stationary Pad are unavailable (perhaps they should be colour coded in the pad)? I notice the Location is available in the Find command. What is different about fields that are available to query on in Find but not in Search/Spotlight?
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't search on certain fields in Spotlight
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:01:36 AM »
John,

I have reviewed the manual and in the section on (Mac) Spotlight searches, it gives a list of the fields available to be searched on in Edit/Search. I notice that there are many fields missing out of the list. As one example, City, State and Country are there but not Location. This is a curious one as in the Stationary Pad, these fields are all together with no indication that some are available for Spotlight searches and others aren't. Am I on the right track here? Are fields like Location not available to Spotlight searches? What other fields in the Stationary Pad are unavailable (perhaps they should be colour coded in the pad)? I notice the Location is available in the Find command. What is different about fields that are available to query on in Find but not in Search/Spotlight?

Spotlight doesn't index everything that PM can edit.  Spotlight indexing is provided by Apple and they only index what they see fit.

The Find command is completely internal to PM and as such has support for more fields.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
Re: Can't search on certain fields in Spotlight
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 08:15:54 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I think I have run into this one before now I see your answer.

I would suggest that in the Mac version, the fields not available for a Spotlight search be noted somehow by a different colour or font.

Still really enjoying PM and now it is second-nature to me.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build