Author Topic: Suddenly unable to ingest from CF card  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Gregor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Suddenly unable to ingest from CF card
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:51:57 PM »
I can no longer get PM to ingest files from CF cards. This started after I started using a recent build of PM (I'm currently running 4.4.3.2, but this started happening when I downloaded the release before that.) I do my usual routine of having PM ingest the files into a new named folder and rename the files using the first shoot date followed by the seq variable. PM says that the ingest is complete, but with errors (Error copying: precedes each filename in the Ingest Progress dialog box). PM creates the requested folder, but it is empty, and the same is true for the back-up drive.

As far as I can tell, I'm using the same procedure and settings I have used for the last year or so. Am I missing something here?

Gregor

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Suddenly unable to ingest from CF card
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 08:02:58 PM »
Gregor,

I can no longer get PM to ingest files from CF cards. This started after I started using a recent build of PM (I'm currently running 4.4.3.2, but this started happening when I downloaded the release before that.) I do my usual routine of having PM ingest the files into a new named folder and rename the files using the first shoot date followed by the seq variable. PM says that the ingest is complete, but with errors (Error copying: precedes each filename in the Ingest Progress dialog box). PM creates the requested folder, but it is empty, and the same is true for the back-up drive.

As far as I can tell, I'm using the same procedure and settings I have used for the last year or so. Am I missing something here?

It sounds like there is something wrong with your reader or your card.  Unplug your reader, remove the card.  Wait thirty seconds and plug the empty reader back in again.  Wait an additional thirty seconds.  Then insert the card.

Nothing much has changed in the way Ingest does what it does.

If you get errors again, try copying them with your OS (Finder or Windows Explorer) and if the files copy fine and are intact, then let me know.  It may be that even if the OS copies the files, they may be damaged.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Gregor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 08:40:40 PM »
Kirk,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them but got the same results--no files are copied. Here are a few of the error messages that appear in the Ingest Progress window:

Ingest complete. (46 errors)

Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6251.CRW to: C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6251.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6251.CRW to: F:\Backup\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6251.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6252.CRW to: C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6252.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6252.CRW to: F:\Backup\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6252.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6253.CRW to: C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6253.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6253.CRW to: F:\Backup\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6253.CRW

Warning: Finished copying from volume "G:\", but there were errors.

I have had the same problem with two separate CF cards, each used in different cameras. I was able to use File Explorer to copy the files from both cards into Windows folders on the C: drive and I can subsequently open those files in PS CS2, so it doesn't seem like a problem with the card reader. I'm running Win XP (Media Center Edition). Photo Mechanic was working fine until I installed the release before 4.4.3.2, though I realize it may not be tied to update. If it were, it seems like this problem would have cropped up before now.

Gregor

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 09:41:27 PM »
Gregor,

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them but got the same results--no files are copied. Here are a few of the error messages that appear in the Ingest Progress window:

Ingest complete. (46 errors)

Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6251.CRW to: C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6251.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6251.CRW to: F:\Backup\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6251.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6252.CRW to: C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6252.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6252.CRW to: F:\Backup\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6252.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6253.CRW to: C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6253.CRW
Error copying: G:\DCIM\162CANON\CRW_6253.CRW to: F:\Backup\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6253.CRW

Warning: Finished copying from volume "G:\", but there were errors.

I have had the same problem with two separate CF cards, each used in different cameras. I was able to use File Explorer to copy the files from both cards into Windows folders on the C: drive and I can subsequently open those files in PS CS2, so it doesn't seem like a problem with the card reader. I'm running Win XP (Media Center Edition). Photo Mechanic was working fine until I installed the release before 4.4.3.2, though I realize it may not be tied to update. If it were, it seems like this problem would have cropped up before now.

I see an additional space character in your folder name.  Maybe Windows doesn't "like" that:

C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic \CRW_6251.CRW

should be:

C:\Photos\2006-08-13 Family Picnic\CRW_6251.CRW

Try removing the additional space after "Picnic"...

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Gregor

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »
Kirk,

Good eye--removing the space solved the problem! The extra space was being propagated every time I highlighted and replaced the topic title in the folder name for each new ingest I attempted.

Thanks for your prompt, spot-on help, Kirk.

Gregor

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:03:49 AM »
Gregor,

Good eye--removing the space solved the problem! The extra space was being propagated every time I highlighted and replaced the topic title in the folder name for each new ingest I attempted.

Thanks for your prompt, spot-on help, Kirk.

Thanks for the info.  Since I think that this isn't an issue that a user should have to deal with, I am modifying Ingest to trim whitespace from each path component.  This will solve the problem.

-Kirk