Author Topic: XMP and Modification Time  (Read 5607 times)

Offline olidie

• View Profile
XMP and Modification Time
« on: March 03, 2011, 02:19:01 AM »
Hi,

today I have noticed the following problem for the first time. I organize my pictures with PM 4.6.6 and retouch the Nikon NEF files with ACR 6.3 (PS CS5 on Windows 7 64bit). Once I've worked on a picture ACR saves a XMP sidecar. If I now change anything like tag, rating, colorclass or adjust the capture date & times of the picture ACR does not recognize the xmp sidecar anymore. The picture then is opened with default settings and all my setting in the xmp sidecar are more or less lost since they are not used by ACR anymore.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I have no idea if it was always like this or if i have just noticed it for the first time.

Oliver

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: XMP and Modification Time
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 07:15:32 AM »
Oliver,

today I have noticed the following problem for the first time. I organize my pictures with PM 4.6.6 and retouch the Nikon NEF files with ACR 6.3 (PS CS5 on Windows 7 64bit). Once I've worked on a picture ACR saves a XMP sidecar. If I now change anything like tag, rating, colorclass or adjust the capture date & times of the picture ACR does not recognize the xmp sidecar anymore. The picture then is opened with default settings and all my setting in the xmp sidecar are more or less lost since they are not used by ACR anymore.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? I have no idea if it was always like this or if i have just noticed it for the first time.

It's a bug in all Adobe software where even though the applications won't write XMP data into RAW files (only producing XMP sidecar files) they prefer embedded XMP data over the XMP sidecar file.  You just need to instruct PM not to embed XMP into your RAW files.  You can do this in the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.  You should follow this up by deleting the embedded metadata using the 'Delete Metadata' command on the Tools menu.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 08:06:23 AM »
Thank you Kirk.

I changed the IPTC/XMP preferences to "When writing IPTC/XMP - Add embedded IPTC" as well for jpegs, tiff as for tiff-based RAW photos. I left the "if XMP sidecar exists, add and/or update with IPTC4XMP" setting like it was. So this way, only my IPTC data will be stored with the nef or the jpg, alterations by ACR in a sidecar? Correct so far?

Using tool > delete metadata > xmp (deletes embedded and sidecar file data) will delete all the xmp sidecars from my pictures over the past year since I've been using ACR. Is there any way of just deleting the embedded data so ACR would recognize the original xmp sidecar again?

Regards,
Oliver
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:13:52 AM by olidie »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 08:39:49 AM »
Oliver,

I changed the IPTC/XMP preferences to "When writing IPTC/XMP - Add embedded IPTC" as well for jpegs, tiff as for tiff-based RAW photos. I left the "if XMP sidecar exists, add and/or update with IPTC4XMP" setting like it was. So this way, only my IPTC data will be stored with the nef or the jpg, alterations by ACR in a sidecar? Correct so far?

Using tool > delete metadata > xmp (deletes embedded and sidecar file data) will delete all the xmp sidecars from my pictures over the past year since I've been using ACR. Is there any way of just deleting the embedded data so ACR would recognize the original xmp sidecar again?

Use the 'Revert TIFF-based RAW to Original' command instead.  It should leave (actually it will update) the XMP sidecars.  Test on a few files.  If you don't like the results, then move the XMP sidecar files to a different folder, and then instead use the delete metadata tool.  Then move the XMP sidecar files back.

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
Movin the sidecars to another folder would have been my try. I will follow your instruction and post the result. Thanks!

EDIT: 'Revert TIFF-based RAW to Original' did not do anything noticeable. ACR still opens the files with default settings ignoring the original xmp. I tried with and without backup to xmp sidecar.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 09:02:52 AM by olidie »

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 07:26:15 AM »
I can't get CS5 to recognize the xmp sidecars.

When reverting the TIFF-based RAW to original I loose my IPTC-data stored in the NEF. As it is important for me to maintain the iptc in the original file I was able to restore it using the "Update IPTC/XMP" tool. Still CS5 opens these files with default settings disregarding the xmp sidecar.

Moving the xmp sidecars to a different folder, then deleting the metadata (not the IPTC info) of the NEF and finally moving the xmps back into the original folder also has no effect on CS5.

Any other ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »
I can't get CS5 to recognize the xmp sidecars.

When reverting the TIFF-based RAW to original I loose my IPTC-data stored in the NEF. As it is important for me to maintain the iptc in the original file I was able to restore it using the "Update IPTC/XMP" tool. Still CS5 opens these files with default settings disregarding the xmp sidecar.

Moving the xmp sidecars to a different folder, then deleting the metadata (not the IPTC info) of the NEF and finally moving the xmps back into the original folder also has no effect on CS5.

Any other ideas?

I think at this point I'll need some sample files from you.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.  I'll need a NEF and an XMP file that goes with it.

-Kirk

Offline olidie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »
I am travelling right now. Next week when I am back home I will send you the files. Thanks!