Author Topic: Card read error  (Read 2990 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Card read error
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:34:52 PM »
I just experienced a problem and have no idea what may cause it or how to solve it.
I use OSX 10.5.8 and latest beta of PM.

I started an ingest from two cards with a 4 in 32 USB reader as usually. Ingest started and went on its way when I received an unexpectd device removal error message and the two memory cards disappeared from the devices list.
BUT PM seemed to still continue the ingest without any error message or cancelation of the ingest. The progress bar of course stopped where it was and did not move.

I stopped the ingest removed the cards from the reader and reconnected them to restart the ingest. But since the incident described above PM does not recognize the two cards (not in any other reader) in ingest disk mode.
I tried to select their folders in Ingest folder mode but I receive the error message: "Can't ingest from "path of the folder on card" because path is busy, or contains files or folders pertaining to the operating system."

I will now try to copy/move files from the cards to the hard drive and ingest them from there. I hope the files will not be corrupted or lost. Finder and Quick View can access the folder and show photos and copy seems to work too.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Card read error
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 07:57:39 PM »
Szurkebarat,

I just experienced a problem and have no idea what may cause it or how to solve it.
I use OSX 10.5.8 and latest beta of PM.

I started an ingest from two cards with a 4 in 32 USB reader as usually. Ingest started and went on its way when I received an unexpectd device removal error message and the two memory cards disappeared from the devices list.

And this happened spontaneously without any action on your part?

Quote from: szurkebarat
BUT PM seemed to still continue the ingest without any error message or cancelation of the ingest. The progress bar of course stopped where it was and did not move.

I stopped the ingest removed the cards from the reader and reconnected them to restart the ingest. But since the incident described above PM does not recognize the two cards (not in any other reader) in ingest disk mode.
I tried to select their folders in Ingest folder mode but I receive the error message: "Can't ingest from "path of the folder on card" because path is busy, or contains files or folders pertaining to the operating system."

I will now try to copy/move files from the cards to the hard drive and ingest them from there. I hope the files will not be corrupted or lost. Finder and Quick View can access the folder and show photos and copy seems to work too.

Quit PM.  Unplug the reader.  Wait 30 seconds.  Plug the reader back in, and wait 30 seconds.  Reinsert the cards.  Launch PM again.

That should take care of the issue with PM not recognizing the cards.

If this happens frequently (or even again) without any interaction on your part to cause the problem (meaning that you didn't pull the cards during the Ingest) then I'd suspect that the reader is going bad, or the USB port on your computer is becoming unreliable.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:46:34 AM »
Strange things continue here. Two ingests left in queue. They turned red and PM says Ingest was canceled. But if I click on them there is a Stop button (no response when I click it). I try to remove them from the list but nothing happens when I click Clean up. I tried to quit PM but it says One or more ingest operations are in progress. Use the Ingest tasks dialog to abort those ingests first - what I cannot due to the above.

I can force quit PM but I don't think it is standard operations. However other options seem not to work here.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:34:05 AM »
Szurkebarat,

Strange things continue here. Two ingests left in queue. They turned red and PM says Ingest was canceled. But if I click on them there is a Stop button (no response when I click it). I try to remove them from the list but nothing happens when I click Clean up. I tried to quit PM but it says One or more ingest operations are in progress. Use the Ingest tasks dialog to abort those ingests first - what I cannot due to the above.

I can force quit PM but I don't think it is standard operations. However other options seem not to work here.

It sounds like the Ingest thread is 'locked up' waiting for data from the card and cannot respond to the cancel request until the OS finishes reading the data, thus returning control back to the Ingest thread.  If the OS never finishes the read, then the Ingest thread will always be waiting for the data.  The OS is supposed to either read the data successfully, or fail and return an error.  If it never returns (success or fail) then what you describe will happen and unfortunately there is no way to work around it with code on our part.

You will have to force quit it.

-Kirk