Author Topic: External editor shortcut keys  (Read 6740 times)

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
External editor shortcut keys
« on: March 06, 2011, 04:10:47 PM »
I am finding PM tremendously valuable as my central tool from which I launch various external tools that I use in my photo editing flow.   Some of these external tools are for viewing (e.g., PhotoMe to view EXIF info, VLC to view a video) and others are for editing (e.g., noise reduction, pixel editing, etc.).

It would be even more efficient and more enjoyable to be able to assign shortcut keys to external editors (in addition to "e").   Right-clicking on a thumbnail and using Edit Photo With... is pretty good but it is a bit of a "hunt and click" as compared with, say, being able to assign F9 to F12 with one's fave editors, or maybe assigning Q, W, E, R, T, and Y, or other set of keys.

Thanks,
Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: External editor shortcut keys
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »
Peter,

I am finding PM tremendously valuable as my central tool from which I launch various external tools that I use in my photo editing flow.   Some of these external tools are for viewing (e.g., PhotoMe to view EXIF info, VLC to view a video) and others are for editing (e.g., noise reduction, pixel editing, etc.).

It would be even more efficient and more enjoyable to be able to assign shortcut keys to external editors (in addition to "e").   Right-clicking on a thumbnail and using Edit Photo With... is pretty good but it is a bit of a "hunt and click" as compared with, say, being able to assign F9 to F12 with one's fave editors, or maybe assigning Q, W, E, R, T, and Y, or other set of keys.

If you assign specific editors to each filetype then simply pressing 'e' will launch the editor for the selected file.

See the manual for details on how to assign specific editors for each filetype.

-Kirk

Offline mburke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:39:15 AM »
Can you get more than one program in the "Edit With" choice. In other words I would like to open some jpgs or tiffs with Photoshop Elements and others with Silver Efex Pro. It would be nice to have both choices show on the "Edit With" command. I use the Edit command to open my raw files in CNX2. I don't see how to list more than one program in the Edit With command

Win 7 - I-7-850, 8 meg ram

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:42:54 AM by mburke »

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:41:35 AM »
Hi Kirk.   Thanks for the reply.   That won't work because I am looking for five shortcut keys for .NEF files.   Same set of editors for JPG files.   Thanks, Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:42:08 AM »
Can you get more than one program in the "Edit With" choice. In other words I would like to open some jpgs or tiffs with Photoshop Elements and others with Silver Efex Pro. It would be nice to have both choices show on the "Edit With" command. I use the Edit command to open my raw files in CNX2. I don't see how to list more than one program in the Edit With command

Use the 'Set...' button below where it says 'Assign specific...'

You can add a single editor for each of the many filetypes that PM supports.  In addition there are slots for up to ten custom editors (that will appear in the Open with submenu) that you can assign as well.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 07:29:33 AM »
On a similar and (I think) related note...
I would like to be able to choose on a picture by picture basis whether to open JPEGs (not RAWs) directly into Photoshop CS4, or whether to bring them into CS4 using Camera RAW.
I know how to set Photoshop/Camera RAW to open all jpegs either normally, or via Camera RAW, but I can't see how to do it on a case-by-case basis.
Any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:43:04 AM »
Ben,

On a similar and (I think) related note...
I would like to be able to choose on a picture by picture basis whether to open JPEGs (not RAWs) directly into Photoshop CS4, or whether to bring them into CS4 using Camera RAW.
I know how to set Photoshop/Camera RAW to open all jpegs either normally, or via Camera RAW, but I can't see how to do it on a case-by-case basis.
Any ideas?

No, but maybe someone here on these forums would know, or more likely on Adobe's support forums.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 02:42:28 PM »
Kirk: rather than assigning a file type to a specific editing program, would it be possible to a) leave the "e" key as is so that a specified program is opened on pressing the "e" key and b) pressing a modifier key plus "e" to provide a drop down list of editing programs not based on file type, but on editing needs? Thanks, Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:53:33 PM »
Richard,

Kirk: rather than assigning a file type to a specific editing program, would it be possible to a) leave the "e" key as is so that a specified program is opened on pressing the "e" key and b) pressing a modifier key plus "e" to provide a drop down list of editing programs not based on file type, but on editing needs? Thanks, Richard

Wouldn't right-clicking on a photo and choosing from the list in the 'Open with' submenu do the same thing?  You can up to ten editors that are listed no matter what the file type is.  This capability already exists in PM.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »
Good grief!! Yes and oh so happy. I wasn't aware that this was possible with a right click.  :D Richard
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:23:40 PM by rbsandor »

Offline LowEyeEssOh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »
Good grief!! Yes and oh so happy.  :D Richard

Yes, that is great and I use it all of the time.  I am a shortcut keys guy however and still am interested in being able to assign more than one key, the "e" key, to an editor.   Would really like to have about five such keys, each for a different editor.   Ideally they'd be selectable keys.

Thanks,
Peter

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »
Richard,

Wouldn't right-clicking on a photo and choosing from the list in the 'Open with' submenu do the same thing?  You can up to ten editors that are listed no matter what the file type is.  This capability already exists in PM.

-Kirk

I find it reasonable to ask for an alternate key to show dropdown making it much faster controlled from keyboard than using the mouse.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com