Author Topic: FTP-Upload: no jpg-recompress, only upload orginal jpg but apply a stationary  (Read 4800 times)

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
How can I do an ftp upload without recompress the jpg file (no use of quality slider) but also apply an stationary to set or delete IPTC data?

In my case the jpg's are OK for upload but after the recompress the files are bigger than the original?!
I need a function like copy and apply a stationary preset to modify some IPTC data and then FTP the copied jpg with the applied IPTC stationary.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Uwe
--
PM 4.6.6: OSX 10.6.4
--
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:30:35 AM by pescatore »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Uwe,

How can I do an ftp upload without recompress the jpg file (no use of quality slider) but also apply an stationary to set or delete IPTC data?

In my case the jpg's are OK for upload but after the recompress the files are bigger than the original?!
I need a function like copy and apply a stationary preset to modify some IPTC data and then FTP the copied jpg with the applied IPTC stationary.

Is this possible?

You cannot send an original and have it get modified.  You have to let it get recompressed in order to modify the metadata during the upload.  Set the JPEG quality lower than full quality to get the size you want.

-Kirk

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Kirk,
thanks for your answer.
My problem is first that recompression lowers the quality of the jpeg file and second I must play to find out the needed filesize for the ftp transfer...

If I in PM copy a jpg file and apply a stationary I must not recompress, why I must, if I do an ftp upload?

Before PM I used exiftool to modify the iptc data for the upload - but that is not so handy like a one stop solution in PM :-).
Is it possible to integrate an exiftool-script (i.e. bash ...)  in the PM upload script, or modify the Ruby uploadscript to call the exiftool?

Gives it some information about the Ruby scripts used in PM?

Thanks

Uwe
--

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
My problem is first that recompression lowers the quality of the jpeg file and second I must play to find out the needed filesize for the ftp transfer...

If I in PM copy a jpg file and apply a stationary I must not recompress, why I must, if I do an ftp upload?

Before PM I used exiftool to modify the iptc data for the upload - but that is not so handy like a one stop solution in PM :-).
Is it possible to integrate an exiftool-script (i.e. bash ...)  in the PM upload script, or modify the Ruby uploadscript to call the exiftool?

Gives it some information about the Ruby scripts used in PM?

It's something we'll have to fix.  Probably in the next major version of PM which we're working on now.

[EDIT: I found a way to make applying an IPTC Stationery Pad during upload of Original Photos work without any large changes to the application or the uploader templates.  The next 4.6.7 beta will have this feature.]

-Kirk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:51:32 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline pescatore

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • 12-Fotos.de
Kirk, nice that you found so quick a solution!  :)

I'm look forward for the next 4.6.7 beta to check it out.

Thanks!

Uwe

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
It's good to hear you found a solution.

It would also be great if you could add this to the send via e-mail option as a send original option as requested.
Preferably with the option to Apply stationery what is completely missing from this dialog.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com