Author Topic: PM showing wrong user system folders  (Read 4092 times)

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
PM showing wrong user system folders
« on: March 13, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
Recently migrated to a new laptop and PM Navigator is now showing the wrong user folders so the Desktop is the desktop of a different user on the laptop....We also just upgraded to PM 4.6.7 because of the sequence numbering issue.
The user folder is correct and if I go into that in the Navigator my Desktop is the correct one but the top level desktop is different.
The Mac Finder seems to be working OK
Very Odd...
Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM showing wrong user system folders
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
Marc,

Recently migrated to a new laptop and PM Navigator is now showing the wrong user folders so the Desktop is the desktop of a different user on the laptop....We also just upgraded to PM 4.6.7 because of the sequence numbering issue.
The user folder is correct and if I go into that in the Navigator my Desktop is the correct one but the top level desktop is different.
Very Odd...

Indeed.  I don't see how that's possible.  Please post a screenshot (JPEG please).

Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »
Can you send me a private email so I don't splash all my user names everywhere?
Marc
Marc

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:29:47 AM »
Marc,

Very Odd...

Indeed.  I don't see how that's possible.  Please post a screenshot (JPEG please).

Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Image 11.30.05 shows PM Navigator and how top level Desktop is different from finder desktop.
It also shows how if you go into top level user folder and go to desktop it is also incorrect.
The desktop showing is an old Desktop, as if it hadn't been refreshed....

Image 11.31.07 shows that if you navigate through the Macintosh HD directory in PM Navigator it takes you to the same user desktop BUT now the files are correct.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »
Marc,

Very Odd...

Thanks,

-Kirk

Image 11.30.05 shows PM Navigator and how top level Desktop is different from finder desktop.
It also shows how if you go into top level user folder and go to desktop it is also incorrect.
The desktop showing is an old Desktop, as if it hadn't been refreshed....

Image 11.31.07 shows that if you navigate through the Macintosh HD directory in PM Navigator it takes you to the same user desktop BUT now the files are correct.

Thanks for the screenshots.  The Finder 'sidebar' items are stored in a file called 'com.apple.sidebarlists.plist' which is stored in the Library/Preferences folder in your home folder.  Inside the file is a group of aliases to the items in the sidebar.  Apparently when you migrated, this file's aliases were not updated to reflect the location of the new Desktop folder.  Apple does not provide an API for getting the Finder's sidebar items, so I figured it out for myself.  You could try deleting the file and see if the Finder re-creates it with the updated aliases.  PM always consults the file on startup for the sidebar items unless you have configured the Navigator to ignore the sidebar items.  Once the plist file is updated with the correct aliases, the problem should be fixed.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 01:39:50 PM »
That solved it!
(Deleted all my customization too...but I have the screen shot to remind me what I had in the sidebar so no big deall!)
You are amazing, many thanks
Marc
Marc