Author Topic: PM mangles capture time in XMP files and sets "now" instead of "capture time"  (Read 2884 times)

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.6 and I run WinXP SP3.

PM mangles the capture time in XMP files (sidecar to NEF files) produced by Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.3 (LR) by setting "now" instead of the original capture time.

Workflow example:
1) import the NEF file into LR and do basic edit => XMP sidecar file is produced
2) use PM to add copyright statement to picture => XMP file is re-written by PM
3) synchronise folder with LR => LR displays PM's edit time instead of the picture's original capture time

PM is set within preferences IPTC/XMP to default and "IPTC Info Date and Time uses: Capture Time", see windowshot attached. A test with "IPTC Info Date and Time uses: IPTC Date and Time" and with PM 4.6.7b3 showed no difference.

Additional window shots of LR screens 1) 3) and PM's IPTC stationary pad 2) as well as XMP files before and after PM usage can be provided.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.6 and I run WinXP SP3.

PM mangles the capture time in XMP files (sidecar to NEF files) produced by Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.3 (LR) by setting "now" instead of the original capture time.

Workflow example:
1) import the NEF file into LR and do basic edit => XMP sidecar file is produced
2) use PM to add copyright statement to picture => XMP file is re-written by PM
3) synchronise folder with LR => LR displays PM's edit time instead of the picture's original capture time

PM is set within preferences IPTC/XMP to default and "IPTC Info Date and Time uses: Capture Time", see windowshot attached. A test with "IPTC Info Date and Time uses: IPTC Date and Time" and with PM 4.6.7b3 showed no difference.

Additional window shots of LR screens 1) 3) and PM's IPTC stationary pad 2) as well as XMP files before and after PM usage can be provided.

Please send me sample files.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hello,

Thank you for the files. We're looking into it right now.

- Jerry

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi,

I've fixed the problem.  We were putting the IPTC date/time into the XMP/Exif "DateTimeOriginal" and "DateTimeDigitized" fields and I just removed this code so that it will leave these XMP fields unmodified.

This fix will be in the next build.

As a workaround, it seems that if you have your "IPTC Info Date and Time uses:" preference set to "Capture Time" then it would match what value you would have had in this XMP field (i.e. the Exif capture time), assuming your IPTC is up to date of course.

--dennis