Author Topic: When writing IPTC/XMP header  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Chip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
When writing IPTC/XMP header
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:37:06 AM »
Using PM 4.6.6
CNX2 2.2.6
LR 3  ver3.3
MAC OSX 10.6.6

Little confused about some of the possible ways to write IPTC to my NEF, Tiff, and JPG.  Right now I have IPTC-NAA resource checked. What is this?

Also I have for tiff based raw photos: add imbedded IPTC4XMP only checked as well. I really don't want any sidecar files and only use CNX2 for editing RAW not imbedding metadata. I use LR for cataloging only.

Would I need to check: add embedded IPTC as well?  Why or why not?

Thanks for any info to clear up my understanding of these options.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: When writing IPTC/XMP header
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 07:07:47 AM »
Using PM 4.6.6
CNX2 2.2.6
LR 3  ver3.3
MAC OSX 10.6.6

Little confused about some of the possible ways to write IPTC to my NEF, Tiff, and JPG.  Right now I have IPTC-NAA resource checked. What is this?

Quite a while ago, writing metadata to the resource fork for an image was the way things were done on a Mac.  This is no longer the norm.  You can leave it checked, or un-check it.  Un-checking the box will save a minor amount of time each time metadata is written.

Quote from: Chip
Also I have for tiff based raw photos: add imbedded IPTC4XMP only checked as well. I really don't want any sidecar files and only use CNX2 for editing RAW not imbedding metadata. I use LR for cataloging only.

Would I need to check: add embedded IPTC as well?  Why or why not?

Thanks for any info to clear up my understanding of these options.

You don't have to embed IPTC data if you don't want to, but basically IPTC is an older metadata format that is still very well supported and there are some tools that can't handle XMP data yet that will still work with IPTC data.  Of course, many of those same applications can't handle RAW files either, so this is truly an option that you can decide on.

As for embedding IPTC4XMP, its essential to do so when working with Capture NX2, but can cause problems for LightRoom.  The problem only occurs when you make adjustments with Adobe's products, but since you're only using LR for cataloging purposes this shouldn't be a problem.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Chip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
Thanks Kirk,

This is good to know.  If I may, one further question regarding Adobe products.  I also use CS5 and edit only the Tiff/Jpg files.  RAW only with CNX2.  Would CS5 have a problem with the XMP embedded in the tiffs/jpegs?  Or only the RAW and ACR?

Thanks.

Chip

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:25:49 PM »
Chip,

This is good to know.  If I may, one further question regarding Adobe products.  I also use CS5 and edit only the Tiff/Jpg files.  RAW only with CNX2.  Would CS5 have a problem with the XMP embedded in the tiffs/jpegs?  Or only the RAW and ACR?

The issue only occurs with RAW files.  All non-RAW file formats do not have the issue.

-Kirk

Offline Chip

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09:25 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

Chip