Author Topic: Macbook Air 11,6"  (Read 17530 times)

Offline JS

• View Profile
Macbook Air 11,6"
« on: March 23, 2011, 02:47:55 AM »
Hi,

does anybody use above notebook with PM? Is it really fast to scroll through or look at photos at 100% view? Much faster then normal netbooks with atom-cpus? I find these much to slow for that.
Any answer appreciated.

Regards John

Offline JS

• View Profile
Re: Macbook Air 11,6"
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 07:51:49 AM »
66 views. No answer.

a.) Nobody has a macbook air?
b.) Topics like this are not allowed?

Then, admin, please delete.

Regards
John

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:11:46 AM »
I don't own a MacBook air so can't give you a definite answer but my guess would be it would run relatively ok; from all the info I've seen on the (new) MacBook air, it's quite a capable machine.
It will of course be slower than a normal MacBook (pro)...

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
John,

66 views. No answer.

Posts like this are definitely allowed.  Dennis Walker (President of Camera Bits, Inc.) has one and says it works fantastic with Photo Mechanic.  I gave him a link to this thread hoping he might respond directly, but we're all very busy working on the next major release of PM.

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:38 PM »
Sounds good. Thanks for the answers.

-John

Offline theim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 08:39:25 PM »
I have a MBA 13-inch w/ 4GB RAM and PM 4.6.6 runs quickly and smoothly.
A joy to use with this machine.  I exchanged a MBA 11-inch for the 13 as the screen resolution on the 11 was just not large enough for viewing photos (for me, at least).

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 12:46:56 AM »
theim,

the 13" air has a faster processor. Is there much difference to the 11"? And would You say 4 GB Ram are neccesary for running PM? I,m always afraid it get's stolen on the road because it looks so good. So I want to keep expenses as low as possible.

-John

Offline perg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 11:10:41 AM »
Hi John,

I have the 11", maxed out version (1.6 GHz processor, 4 GB memory and 128 GB SSD disk)

I like it very much, it breezes through the photos in PM real fast once you have ingested them onto your SSD disk.
As it only has USB2 ports for your card reader, a  MacBook Pro with a firewire card reader is of course faster to use.
The MBA display is good and the high resolution means that you have as much screen real estate as on the 13" MBP.
The small size and light weight of the MBA means that it can easily slip into the camera bag but the small size of the internal SSD disk means you normally must carry one or two extra hard disks for the image files if you are on an extended assignment.

-Per

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 05:44:25 PM »
Hi, John,
Sorry, I viewed your post and didn't reply at the time. I don't have a MacBook Air at the moment, but I used one and PM worked fine.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
66 views. No answer.

Regards
John

I use a MacBook Air 11" (with all options maxed out meaining 1.6GHz CPU, 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD).

PM works fast and smooth but I don't have any problem with neither PS (however I rarely use it) nor LR (not using it for cataloging only editing) on it. Flash storage mostly balances all the drawbacks of the slower CPU.

The only problem with the 11" Air (and I am afraid it is true to all the air models) is the very limited storage. It's contents have to be quite often moved to an outside storage. And due to the lack of any upgrade options it is adviceable to choose all the larger CTO options: faster CPU, larger RAM and larger flash storage.

I also added a Speckt SeeThrough case for protection and some velcros for shading and attaching card readers.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 03:38:18 AM »
I don't have one myself, but I read these two articles with interest...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11225-11300

especially the comments.

I am probably going to buy one when they (hopefully) upgrade it with the new Thunderbolt connector which debuted on latest MBPs. It would mean "lightning" fast transfer of the photos from the small SSD to a home/work big drive. But only Jobs knows if that is gonna happen :)

For those who use it, especially the 11" version (with 4GB), the articles I mentioned only wrote about Aperture. Has anybody here used it with Adobe CS5 and Camera Raw? How fast are the edits in ACR especially on multiple files? Is there noticeable lag when one adjusts exposure or any other setting before it's visible? My old (I think one of the first generations) MacMini was somewhat laggy when I used it with ACR (and it had similar GHz although a generation older CPU). Thanks

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 08:33:01 PM »
I don't have one myself, but I read these two articles with interest...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-11225-11300

especially the comments.

I am probably going to buy one when they (hopefully) upgrade it with the new Thunderbolt connector which debuted on latest MBPs. It would mean "lightning" fast transfer of the photos from the small SSD to a home/work big drive. But only Jobs knows if that is gonna happen :)

For those who use it, especially the 11" version (with 4GB), the articles I mentioned only wrote about Aperture. Has anybody here used it with Adobe CS5 and Camera Raw? How fast are the edits in ACR especially on multiple files? Is there noticeable lag when one adjusts exposure or any other setting before it's visible? My old (I think one of the first generations) MacMini was somewhat laggy when I used it with ACR (and it had similar GHz although a generation older CPU). Thanks

I almost never use PS and even if I do it is rerely a large phto edit or a multimedia file. I mostly use it for adding 1 or 2 layers to a photo. But recently I had a panoramic try with about 1 gigapixel and it stitched quite fast and it seemed not too laggy with CS5. I think it is not just about the CPU but mainly the SSD that fastens things up.

The Thunderbolt seems a good thing to me. I'm almost sure I will move for it when it comes out in a new Air. But I doubt it will be any time soon. I would guess in a year. And the big question is if the Thunderbolt gets enough support from peripherial manufacturers to have the HDDs, card readers, cameras having the connection. But anyway it will enable connecting FireWire as well.
However I am really afraid if Apple tries to keep Thunderbolt for itself and not let the PC manufacturers use it too then it will go down and USB3 will dominate the PC world and most of the periferials too.
,-(((
Allways shooting RAW.

sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:26 PM »
However I am really afraid if Apple tries to keep Thunderbolt for itself and not let the PC manufacturers use it too then it will go down and USB3 will dominate the PC world and most of the periferials too.
,-(((

They can't, Intel owns the IP and has already said they will license the IP royalty-free to OEMs.

Scott

Offline ohrbi

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:56:01 PM »
Hi John,

I have the 11", maxed out version (1.6 GHz processor, 4 GB memory and 128 GB SSD disk)

I like it very much, it breezes through the photos in PM real fast once you have ingested them onto your SSD disk.
As it only has USB2 ports for your card reader, a  MacBook Pro with a firewire card reader is of course faster to use.
The MBA display is good and the high resolution means that you have as much screen real estate as on the 13" MBP.
The small size and light weight of the MBA means that it can easily slip into the camera bag but the small size of the internal SSD disk means you normally must carry one or two extra hard disks for the image files if you are on an extended assignment.

-Per

Use it myself in same configuration and can agree to the above.  ;)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 12:58:57 PM »
,-(((

They can't, Intel owns the IP and has already said they will license the IP royalty-free to OEMs.

Scott

I heard a rumor that Apple has a few year exclusivity before other manufacturers can get Thinderbolt. I hope you are right and Apple won't be so crazy to block the PC wolrd out. It could easily kill the possibilities to make it wide spread.
Allways shooting RAW.