Author Topic: Info Panel text & controls hidden in Preview every time new Preview opened  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I am running PM 4.6.6.
I recently acquired a new machine running Windows 7, 64-bit.

I am having an annoying issue with the preview pane.  When I double click on a thumbnail to display a large preview, the Info text panel information and controls are hidden.  I have to drag them back to the left to get them to display.  When I close the preview pane and then double click on another thumbnail to display a new preview, the Info text panel controls and information are hidden again.  I have to drag them back every time I open a new preview. 

On my old Vista machine, the Info panel text and controls were always visible when I launched a preview.  (In fact, I did not even know that they could be hidden, and one time when they were accidentally hidden I panicked and had to search this forum to learn that all I had to do was drag them back open).  Now the info text panel and controls are hidden every time I launch a new preview. 

Note: I am using a dual screen setup, but I was using dual screens with my old system, too.  The only thing that has changed with respect to the screens is that one display is on an HDMI interface while the other is a DVI display.  But, the problem with the disappearing Info panel occurs even if I use only one screen.

The only things that have really changed are that I am now using a Windows 7 OS that is 64 bits.

Is there a way to make the Info text panel "sticky" on the preview pane so that I don't have to hunt for it and drag it back open every single time?

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Supplemental Info:

I normally display PM across two screens.  The screens are not the same size or aspect ratio, but it works well enough for me.  I generally display the contact sheet/lightbox of thumbnails across both screens.

I prefer to display the Preview image in such a way that the preview itself is on the left, larger screen, while the window stretches across to the right and onto the smaller, right screen.  I have it set up so that the Info panel text and controls appear on the right screen so that the preview display of the image takes up as much room as possible on the larger left screen. 

On my old Vista machine, the Info panel text and controls would consistently appear in this manner (on that part of the preview pane that I had dragged over to the right screen) whenever I opened a new preview.  Now they are gone, although the entire preview window stretches into the right screen.

In fiddling around with this this morning, I noticed the following:  If I launch a preview, the image appears as always on the left screen, while the entire preview window spills over onto the right screen, as I want it to do, so that the Info text panel will display on the right.  Except that the panel does not display; there is only black gray space there (it displayed fine on the Vista machine).  If I then hit the Window Maximize button on the preview pane, the preview reverts to the left screen only, and the Info text panel with text and controls appears on the right side of the left screen, as it is supposed to.  If I then hit the middle Windows display button (the one with the two overlapping squares; I don't know what that one is called, but it is the one that allows me to drag and resize the window pane), the display reverts to my preferred set up, displaying the preview of the image on the left screen and, voila, displaying the Info panel text and controls in that portion of the window that I have dragged across to the right screen.  B ut, if I close the preview pane and launch a new one, the Info text box is hidden again.  Also, if I "maximize" the window from two screens to one, and the info text panel appears, and I then close the preview window in that configuration, and then launch a new preview, the Info text panel is hidden again.

Is there some simple setting that I am overlooking here?

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Supplemental Info:

I normally display PM across two screens.  The screens are not the same size or aspect ratio, but it works well enough for me.  I generally display the contact sheet/lightbox of thumbnails across both screens.

I prefer to display the Preview image in such a way that the preview itself is on the left, larger screen, while the window stretches across to the right and onto the smaller, right screen.  I have it set up so that the Info panel text and controls appear on the right screen so that the preview display of the image takes up as much room as possible on the larger left screen. 

On my old Vista machine, the Info panel text and controls would consistently appear in this manner (on that part of the preview pane that I had dragged over to the right screen) whenever I opened a new preview.  Now they are gone, although the entire preview window stretches into the right screen.

In fiddling around with this this morning, I noticed the following:  If I launch a preview, the image appears as always on the left screen, while the entire preview window spills over onto the right screen, as I want it to do, so that the Info text panel will display on the right.  Except that the panel does not display; there is only black gray space there (it displayed fine on the Vista machine).  If I then hit the Window Maximize button on the preview pane, the preview reverts to the left screen only, and the Info text panel with text and controls appears on the right side of the left screen, as it is supposed to.  If I then hit the middle Windows display button (the one with the two overlapping squares; I don't know what that one is called, but it is the one that allows me to drag and resize the window pane), the display reverts to my preferred set up, displaying the preview of the image on the left screen and, voila, displaying the Info panel text and controls in that portion of the window that I have dragged across to the right screen.  B ut, if I close the preview pane and launch a new one, the Info text box is hidden again.  Also, if I "maximize" the window from two screens to one, and the info text panel appears, and I then close the preview window in that configuration, and then launch a new preview, the Info text panel is hidden again.

Is there some simple setting that I am overlooking here?

No.  I have no idea why you're experiencing the issue you're experiencing.  Could you post a JPEG screen shot of what the preview window looks like when it isn't displaying correctly?  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screen shot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,
Thanks for responding.  The attached JPEG will show you what my set up looks like whenever I launch a preview of an image.  Although there is space for the info panel to display, it is hidden, and I have to drag it back open. 

This JPEG was made with a screen capture program called SnagIt.  The black bar on the lower right of the image is where my smaller right hand screen cuts off. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Here is what it should look like when a preview is launched. 

This did not happen until I started using 64-bit Win 7.  I have 18GB of memory, but I can't see how that would be a factor.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Here is what it should look like when a preview is launched. 

This did not happen until I started using 64-bit Win 7.  I have 18GB of memory, but I can't see how that would be a factor.

It shouldn't be related to memory size.  Thanks for the screen shots.  I'll see if I can reproduce it on my system now that I can see what's going on.

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Many thanks. 

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Geoffrey,

Many thanks. 

I am unable to reproduce the issue on my Windows 7 x64 system.  The window restores perfectly, shows the controls panel area and it looks correct (no black area as you described).

Here is what I did:

Moved the window to the left screen.  Resized the window until the controls panel area was on the second monitor.  Closed the preview.  Opened the preview again.  Window looked exactly the same as it did just before I closed it.

Am I missing anything in my steps?

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
No, you ran through all of the steps the way that I am using my system.  On my old system, the window restored fine.  On this new system, the controls panel is hidden every time I reopen the preview pane.

Very strange.  I will let you know if I have a brainstorm.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Geoffrey,

No, you ran through all of the steps the way that I am using my system.  On my old system, the window restored fine.  On this new system, the controls panel is hidden every time I reopen the preview pane.

Very strange.  I will let you know if I have a brainstorm.

If you can help me reproduce it on my own system then I will do what I can to solve the issue.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Kirk,
I am writing to provide an update on the problem described in this thread.
I have replaced my second monitor with a new monitor, and the problem seems to have been resolved.
Previously, I was using monitors of different sizes, resolutions, and aspect ratios.  Yesterday I replaced my older, smaller second monitor with a new monitor that is the same size, aspect ratio, and resolution as my main monitor.  Now, the controls panel remains visible when I open and close previews and the program itself. 
Why using mismatched monitors would cause the controls panel to turn itself off (or minimize itself, to be more precise) is a mystery, at least to me.
I thought that you might be interested in this. 
I will let you know if the problem returns. 

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Geoffrey,

I am writing to provide an update on the problem described in this thread.
I have replaced my second monitor with a new monitor, and the problem seems to have been resolved.
Previously, I was using monitors of different sizes, resolutions, and aspect ratios.  Yesterday I replaced my older, smaller second monitor with a new monitor that is the same size, aspect ratio, and resolution as my main monitor.  Now, the controls panel remains visible when I open and close previews and the program itself. 
Why using mismatched monitors would cause the controls panel to turn itself off (or minimize itself, to be more precise) is a mystery, at least to me.
I thought that you might be interested in this. 
I will let you know if the problem returns. 

Thanks for following up.

-Kirk