Author Topic: xmp file Batch Renaming issue/s?  (Read 7211 times)

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
xmp file Batch Renaming issue/s?
« on: March 29, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »
Have searched archives, but am drawing a blank.  Issues:

1) PM's Batch Rename function for Canon RAW (.cr2) files is ignoring "xmp" files.  Camera RAW files are renamed successfully; but the xmp files retain original camera name.

2) I'm finding whole directories with redundant xmp files, where the "xmp" extension is in lower and upper case.  The upper case XMP files will have been modified at a later date.  Is there a setting in PM that I've inadvertently toggled?

Thanks,
Craig
PM 4.6.7 Beta3
MBP 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 Gb; 1067 MHz DDR3
OS X 10.5.8

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: xmp file Batch Renaming issue/s?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:41:20 AM »
Craig,

Have searched archives, but am drawing a blank.  Issues:

1) PM's Batch Rename function for Canon RAW (.cr2) files is ignoring "xmp" files.  Camera RAW files are renamed successfully; but the xmp files retain original camera name.

2) I'm finding whole directories with redundant xmp files, where the "xmp" extension is in lower and upper case.  The upper case XMP files will have been modified at a later date.  Is there a setting in PM that I've inadvertently toggled?

Did you somehow format your Mac's hard drive with a case-sensitive file system?  You'll need to get that sorted out.  PM works with case-preserving file systems, but not case-sensitive file systems.  PM has a preference for choosing upper or lower case filename extensions, but you'd have to stick with your choice and not change it if you're working with a case-sensitive file system.  See the Files tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
Thanks for the prompt reply, Kirk. 

1) Am I missing your thoughts on the batch rename glitch?  My workflow involves ingest multiple cards, then sort by Capture Time, then rename.  The result is that when I rename, PM ignores the original xmp files and orphans them from the renamed RAW files.  If I happen to rate or adjust IPTC info prior to the sort/rename, won't that info get lost when the xmp gets separated?

2) PM's Preferences/Files set to use lowercase extensions.  My Mac is Journaled HFS+ and therefore is case insensitive.  Could the Linux-based RAID server I'm ingesting to be the culprit?  It is accessible to the Mac/Windows network here and I've just read that some Windows systems are case sensitive.  Can systems be switched to case-insensitive/preserving without full on reformatting?

~ craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 12:01:09 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for the prompt reply, Kirk. 

1) Am I missing your thoughts on the batch rename glitch?  My workflow involves ingest multiple cards, then sort by Capture Time, then rename.  The result is that when I rename, PM ignores the original xmp files and orphans them from the renamed RAW files.  If I happen to rate or adjust IPTC info prior to the sort/rename, won't that info get lost when the xmp gets separated?

2) PM's Preferences/Files set to use lowercase extensions.  My Mac is Journaled HFS+ and therefore is case insensitive.  Could the Linux-based RAID server I'm ingesting to be the culprit?  It is accessible to the Mac/Windows network here and I've just read that some Windows systems are case sensitive.  Can systems be switched to case-insensitive/preserving without full on reformatting?

Could you give me the shortest set of steps required to reproduce the problem?  Perhaps part of PM is ignoring your filename extension case preference which is causing the problem.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
Kirk - I've tested the steps (Cmd A, Cmd M) on identical directories of cr2 and .mov files copied to 3 drives here.  Seems I can only reproduce the problem on my Linux RAID server (my Mac and portable USB drive works fine).  Guessing the glitch is not a PM thing, but is related to the formatting of the RAID server (manufactured by Qnap) that we have here.  At this point, not sure if I need a systems analyst or a clinical analyst.  Sorry for the false alarm.

Cheers,
~ craig

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Regarding file extension issue, the problem may well originate here with my Qnap RAID server.  Seems PM will do a batch rename fine on both my Macbook Pro and single external drives, but will only rename the RAW files on my RAID server, leaving me with a slew of orphaned .xmp, .thm and .xip files that retain the original camera file names.  As mentioned, my workflow involves ingest to server/sort by capture time/rename. 

I also think the redundant xmp/XMP files are the result of the Qnap server.  Similar files have different modified dates and I suspect this is because the Qnap server is formatted to be case sensitive (a result of wanting to make it accessible to XP/Mac systems here).  If you have other ideas, I'm all ears.

~ craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:10:57 PM »
Craig,

Regarding file extension issue, the problem may well originate here with my Qnap RAID server.  Seems PM will do a batch rename fine on both my Macbook Pro and single external drives, but will only rename the RAW files on my RAID server, leaving me with a slew of orphaned .xmp, .thm and .xip files that retain the original camera file names.  As mentioned, my workflow involves ingest to server/sort by capture time/rename. 

I also think the redundant xmp/XMP files are the result of the Qnap server.  Similar files have different modified dates and I suspect this is because the Qnap server is formatted to be case sensitive (a result of wanting to make it accessible to XP/Mac systems here).  If you have other ideas, I'm all ears.

It still may be an issue that we could improve in PM.  Perhaps a call is in order.  Contact me privately with your number and a best time to call (tomorrow).

Thanks,

-Kirk