Author Topic: use of variables in caption field  (Read 4739 times)

Offline ENB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
use of variables in caption field
« on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »
A few things I am trying to accomplish, with the minimum of steps.
(sorry, english is not my mother tongue)

Some context first: While covering sport events, I need to transmit after quarters, periods or halves (depending on the sport/deadline). Usually I ingest during breaks in the action and I have a basic caption in the stationery pad prepared ( …. during 1st quarter action between the Chicago Bears and New Orleans Saints….) Before transmitting I select the pictures I want and copy them to a "1st quarter" folder. From this folder I do the post production needed in PS (crop,colour,contrast…) and then complete the captions.

I am just starting to use variables.

Before transmitting I have to rename the pictures starting with a number sequence (no problem at this point, I either use rename in the folder (select all + rename with the sequence variable) or when copying in the folder, again using the sequence variable

1) My caption needs to start with the number of files transmitted (can not get the total variable to work)  ie if sending 8 pictures, the 1st thing in the caption field needs to be either (8) or ideally "3" of 8, etc.

2)   I then need to put the new file name (fbas variable works great if rename was done) Obviously, if I include the fbas variable in my initial stationery pad, it will keep the camera filename instead of the "job rename" I need.

Any ways this can be done via the rename and caption sub-menus in the "ftp as" window ? Tried using the caption variable in this window but all I get is a bunch of lines duplicating the file name (I had manually put the number of files transmitted, in this case (3) followed by the fbas variable and the caption variable)

Hope this is clear enough, thank you for your time/help.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.6 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.6 on my Intel-based Mac.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: use of variables in caption field
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 01:53:57 PM »
A few things I am trying to accomplish, with the minimum of steps.
(sorry, english is not my mother tongue)

Some context first: While covering sport events, I need to transmit after quarters, periods or halves (depending on the sport/deadline). Usually I ingest during breaks in the action and I have a basic caption in the stationery pad prepared ( …. during 1st quarter action between the Chicago Bears and New Orleans Saints….) Before transmitting I select the pictures I want and copy them to a "1st quarter" folder. From this folder I do the post production needed in PS (crop,colour,contrast…) and then complete the captions.

I am just starting to use variables.

Before transmitting I have to rename the pictures starting with a number sequence (no problem at this point, I either use rename in the folder (select all + rename with the sequence variable) or when copying in the folder, again using the sequence variable

1) My caption needs to start with the number of files transmitted (can not get the total variable to work)  ie if sending 8 pictures, the 1st thing in the caption field needs to be either (8) or ideally "3" of 8, etc.

2)   I then need to put the new file name (fbas variable works great if rename was done) Obviously, if I include the fbas variable in my initial stationery pad, it will keep the camera filename instead of the "job rename" I need.

Any ways this can be done via the rename and caption sub-menus in the "ftp as" window ? Tried using the caption variable in this window but all I get is a bunch of lines duplicating the file name (I had manually put the number of files transmitted, in this case (3) followed by the fbas variable and the caption variable)

Hope this is clear enough, thank you for your time/help.

I am running Photo Mechanic version 4.6.6 and I run Mac OS X 10.6.6 on my Intel-based Mac.

The {total} variable is mostly used for printing and emailing (and I think exporting) and isn't setup for the Uploader templates.  The {caption} variable really can't be used in the Caption field.  Is there some other place suitable that you could stash this information instead?  If we made {index} and {total} work in the Uploaders, would that be helpful?

-Kirk

Offline ENB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:56:40 PM »
WOW, thank you for the quick reply ! I am leaving to go do a game at the moment, will try some work-arounds and will get back to you once I figure it all out. Thank you again !
Eric

Offline ENB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »
Still trying to find some work-arounds, and yes, having {index} and {total} in uploaders would be great !
Basically, yesterday I did this :
1) ingest pictures when action breaks occurred with my usual pre-prepared stationery pad :  files had the camera issued name and a basic stationery applied by PM for iptc/xmp fields and some of the caption prepared.

2) after the 1st period, I quickly selected the pictures I needed (tagging with color code) and copying them to a folder named "1st period"  to be processed in PhotoShop ---- I realize there is an opportunity here to do the rename with the sequence number at the start of the name, but hesitated since often when editing in PS some photos get "ditched" or time does not allow to process+transmit all. The sequence number in the file name is important because it is used to confirm all files have been transferred/uploaded = thus the need to have at the beginning of the caption field either the total number of files or a "1 of 8" type of information followed by the new filename (the one starting with the sequence#) followed by our standard caption. Sample of a file name : 004_1stperiod_NHL_ENB  ; this photo would have a caption start like this if 8 files were transmitted : (8) 004_1stperiod_NHL_ENB    .This way the person receiving the files can confirm the number of files received and if there is an issue can ask for a number to be sent again.

3) Once all the pics were done in PS: select all, rename in PM

4) Open iptc info window of the 1st picture, then in caption field typed (8) and inserted the fbas variable, then copy and paste for the rest of the pictures ***This is where I know there is something I can do to save some "manual" labor/save time /avoid a mistake with a better understanding of variables or some other trick (is there an "apply to all" ????)

5)Completed the caption writing for each picture

6)"Select all" followed by "ftp as" and send...

Anything that can be done to simplify ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »
4) Open iptc info window of the 1st picture, then in caption field typed (8) and inserted the fbas variable, then copy and paste for the rest of the pictures ***This is where I know there is something I can do to save some "manual" labor/save time /avoid a mistake with a better understanding of variables or some other trick (is there an "apply to all" ????)

You could use the IPTC Stationery Pad again for this, but uncheck all of the fields you don't want changed.

-Kirk

Offline ENB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »

You could use the IPTC Stationery Pad again for this, but uncheck all of the fields you don't want changed.

Good idea but can't do that, would just open up an opportunity to screw up the next batch if one does not get "checked back"... I think that if the same info is there it will not duplicate it right ? Also I forgot to mention that I am on a serious time constraint when doing this and not in a work room, but squeezed in at my shooting position, so trying to limit typing/manipulating menus...Will keep working on it..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 02:04:30 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »

Good idea but can't do that, would just open up an opportunity to screw up the next batch if one does not get "checked back"... I think that if the same info is there it will not duplicate it right ? Also I forgot to mention that I am on a serious time constraint when doing this and not in a work room, but squeezed in at my shooting position, so trying to limit typing/manipulating menus...Will keep working on it..

Snapshots (see the button with the lightning bolt on it) are especially useful in stressful situations like yours.  With just a couple of clicks you can switch between settings with confidence.

-Kirk

Offline ENB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:25:59 PM »
Thanks, found a way to incorporate snapshots, still need to streamline the workflow for larger number of files.
One more question, could not find a specific answer : how can we edit (delete or move) the snapshots, using the one in the IPTC Stationery Pad menu and can not remove/delete snapshots to clean up the list.
Thanks. ENB

Snapshots (see the button with the lightning bolt on it) are especially useful in stressful situations like yours.  With just a couple of clicks you can switch between settings with confidence.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks, found a way to incorporate snapshots, still need to streamline the workflow for larger number of files.
One more question, could not find a specific answer : how can we edit (delete or move) the snapshots, using the one in the IPTC Stationery Pad menu and can not remove/delete snapshots to clean up the list.
Thanks. ENB

Hold down the Option key while you choose one of your snapshots.  The Finder will come forward with the snapshot selected.  There you can delete, copy, rename, etc. your snapshots.

-Kirk

Offline ENB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 05:30:05 AM »
Thank you it worked (I saw the ther thread but was hoding down the wrong key.... :-[   )
Eric