Author Topic: distance data  (Read 4552 times)

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
distance data
« on: April 03, 2011, 05:07:49 AM »
I know that somewhere in the EXIF data is stored information about camera-subject distance. However, I can't see that variable anywhere in PM. I would like to include this information in the Info Text. Is this particular datum available in PM?
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: distance data
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 07:00:14 AM »
John,

I know that somewhere in the EXIF data is stored information about camera-subject distance. However, I can't see that variable anywhere in PM. I would like to include this information in the Info Text. Is this particular datum available in PM?

While I can't say that I've heard of that field before, I can tell you for certain that there is no variable in PM that would expose it.

-Kirk

Offline chardinej

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 07:50:08 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I've done some digging and although Photoshop does not report the data in file info, Bridge does under Camera Data (EXIF) Subject Distance. It would be great to have this available in PM. Could you consider this a feature request.
John

MacBook Air i5/10.8 (Mountain Lion); PM 5 latest build

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:38:13 PM »
John, subject distance is not a standard exif field but is embedded and encoded somewhere in the camera specific maker notes. Each camera has a different way of embedding/encoding and not all cameras will have it either. It can probably be added it but it's not going to be easy ;)

In the meantime you could use exiftool to extract the data.

Cheers,
    Hayo
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 10:46:11 PM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 06:00:24 PM »
John,
I tried to find this shooting info in Canon's DPP but I could'nt. I really don't know if this is recorded somewhere...
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:05:48 AM »
Hi Luiz, if the information is in the file, exiftool will probably be able to show it to you. The fact that Canon DPP doesn't show it to you is not saying it isn't there; it is for instance recorded in Nikon NEF files, but Nikon Capture NX2 does not show it either.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 01:39:49 PM »
Hayo,
Thanks for your reply. It seems that a lot of people who use PM also use Exiftool. I think I will give it a try.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Franz Dur

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:33:55 AM »
Hello,

I am a recent PM user, first post here.

Concerning Exiftool, the "experimental" version of XnView, XnViewMP (yes, MP ;)) has a nice and useful feature: in the Info panel that opens with each image, besides the Properties, Exif, IPTC, Categories, there is an Exiftool tab. One clic and you get the full listing of what Exiftool extracts from your image.

It is a lot. With a NEF, as Hayo stated, you get the Focus distance plus the Circle of confusion, the Depth of field, the Angle of view, etc. All this is interesting when analyzing an image and trying to understand why the main subject is out of focus.... Of course it depends on the MakerNotes, in Panasonic's RW2 there is less information. Nevertheless...

Could something similar be built in PM? with an entry in Preferences to indicate where Exiftool.exe is located on your drive, you can easily always have the most uptodate version of the program (8.54 at this time I guess).

Even better would be an ability to built custom variables with Exiftool tags.

Francis

Offline Citizenzoltan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »
OS X's "preview" info button provides subject distance in the EXIF Tab.
Apple's Aperture also displays distance in the EXIF for all my Nikkor G and D type lenses.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:31:05 AM by Citizenzoltan »