Author Topic: Ingesting selected files from a CF card  (Read 8827 times)

Offline xooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingesting selected files from a CF card
« on: April 09, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
I apologize if this has been answered before, but I cannot seem to find the answer.

Typical scenario:  I have images from a model shoot on one 16gig card.  Two models (maybe more).
I need to download (to different folders) the photographs of the two models separately.

However I mark the images, all the captures on the card are downloaded together.  I then
have to move the files manually to separate folders.

Please help.

Ian (new user)

Offline xooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Ingesting selected files from a CF card...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 10:00:36 AM »
... sorry!  Photo Mechanic 4.6.6 on Windows 7 (x64).

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Ingesting selected files from a CF card
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 05:35:21 AM »
Hi, Ian,
Couldn't you create a different directory in your file card (in the camera) before shooting the second model? This way their pictures would already be separated in different directories when ingest begins...
HTH

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 06:31:37 AM »
When Ingesting from a card, PM always ingests the entire card at once.  There is no Ingest from selection feature.  Luiz's advice would be one solution for you.

-Kirk

Offline xooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
Hi Luiz,

Thanks for your reply.

Not really; because I don't shoot one model, then start on the other.  The images are mixed.
Furthermore, why should we go to the trouble?  Also, sometimes I just grab a card that is already
partly used from another shoot (probably downloaded already) and use that.  I usually format the
card when it is full or almost, independently of what it contains.

I have gone through the forum and have noted that this "selective ingest" feature has been requested
way back since 2006!  I have no idea of the coding involved to have it implemented, but I have used
Chris Breeze's 'Downloader Pro' in the past and it does have the facility.

Seems that we will have to keep on separating the images to different folders after ingest.

Support, please consider this as a feature request.

Kind regards,
Ian

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dougie Coull Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 05:01:48 AM »
Tend to agree with xooter as I thought I was getting a 'one stop shop' solution with PM, and as it was requested back in 2006 I'm guessing it's not going to happen  >:(

Even if it is provided it'll be after Ver 4.6 which will mean additional cost to upgrade.

My workaround is to create a 'temp' folder on my CF card, and drag and drop files via PM to that folder - and ingest from there. Delete these files and then drag and drop my next batch etc - until the process is complete.

Time consuming though and rather inelegant.
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »
Ian,
I don´t know what your camera is and if it has this funcion, but with my canon 7d I can create different directories and I can switch directories when shooting...
It will be time consuming though if you have to do it repeatedly, but it works perfectly when you have different assignments during the day.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dougie Coull Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 02:49:57 AM »
I don´t know what your camera is and if it has this funcion, but with my canon 7d I can create different directories and I can switch directories when shooting...
It will be time consuming though if you have to do it repeatedly, but it works perfectly when you have different assignments during the day.

I'm like Ian - "Not really; because I don't shoot one model, then start on the other. The images are mixed." - Luiz, hence I've been forced to develop my own workaround even though I know my 7D has that function.

But it adds time to the process  :(

I still think it's a serious 'miss' in PM that it can't ingest selected images from the source, more so when other applications offer the function, and it appears previous requests for this function have fallen on deaf ears over the years.
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 03:07:08 AM »
I still think it's a serious 'miss' in PM that it can't ingest selected images from the source,

I am also missing the "feature" to select the date when images have been taken during a multi-day-shoot.
I often have different events on one or more days without ingesting images in between.
And when ingesting the whole card all images are getting the same IPTC-Data so I have to move images out of the ingested folder into a new folder, select all images and apply the apropriate IPTC-Data there.

BR
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline BillyDix

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:48:12 AM »
For those situations don't use ingest. Just open PM select your card, sort by date and copy the selected pictures to the desired folder. This takes about the same time as it does to injest the card from your card reader

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
While there are workarounds for this problem, I think the ability to selectively ingest photos would be a very worthwhile addition to PM.