Author Topic: Flash Compensation  (Read 13435 times)

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
Flash Compensation
« on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:30 AM »
Mac OS 10.6.7 and PM 4.6.7
In the Set Info Text area I have the following entry for flash compensation - Flash Comp:{fcmp}. No data appears in the {fmcp} brackets (other than +0.0) whether compensation is used or not. I'm using a Nikon SB-900 sometimes attached to the camera and sometimes wirelessly. What am I missing? Thanks, Richard
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:59:26 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Flash Compensation
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
Richard,

Mac OS 10.6.7 and PM 4.6.7
In the Set Info Text area I have the following entry for flash compensation - Flash Comp:{fcmp}. No data appears in the {fmcp} brackets (other than +0.0) whether compensation is used or not. I'm using a Nikon SB-900 sometimes attached to the camera and sometimes wirelessly. What am I missing? Thanks, Richard

Most likely, nothing.  PM is just showing you what the camera recorded for that field.  If it shows nothing, then the field wasn't provided by the camera.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 04:04:49 PM »
Kirk: thanks for the reply. The camera will show +or - flash ev in the exif when +/- ev is applied, but that figure doesn't appear in PM. Just ran a double check. Took one shot with flash at 0ev and one with -1ev. Both showed +0.0 in the flash comp setting. I give ???. Richard

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:14:09 AM »
Anyone else see the same thing? Richard

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 01:14:57 AM »
Anyone else see the same thing? Richard

Yep, have seen the problem too. Just looked at another example and it shows {flashcomp} as nothing while it was used (exiftool showed it, and so did Nikon Capture NX2).

Seems there is a minor glitch in calculating the value of the field.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 07:08:12 AM »
Kirk: back to you. Both Hayo and I are NX2 users. Is the problem there or in PM? Richard

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
Sorry, didn't catch the model and firmware version where this problem is occurring?

Looks like Nikon added new maker note tags for "external flash comp" but this still isn't sufficient to describe the use of multiple (obviously external) flash groups, each with their own exposure compensation at different distances, etc, right?  IOW this value is only useful for a single external flash (but at what distance?).

I will try to replicate with D700.  But maybe this value deserves its own variable?  {extflashcomp} or {xcmp} for short?  Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

--dennis

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:25:48 AM »
Dennis: I'm using a Nikon D700, firmware 1.02 for A and B and a SB-900 flash. I'm using a single flash. I've done the following: 1, camera on flash, +1EV dialed in on the flash. Shot taken. The info read from the LCD of the camera shows +1 for flash EV. The flashcomp in PM shows +0.0. As a side note, PM's info shows Flash on, return detected. 2, off camera flash, powered by Pocket Wizards with +1EV dialed in on the flash. Shot taken. The info from the LCD of the camera shows the flash symbol, but no figure given. The flashcomp in PM again shows +0.0. PM now shows flash on, return NOT detected. Please let me know if I can provide any additional info. I'm happy to help. Richard
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:47:28 AM by rbsandor »

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 11:16:16 AM »
OK I think I fixed this issue.  It was the new tag for "external flash".

Seems to be working with my D700 and SB-900.

Regarding firing with a PW I don't think the camera knows much about the flash settings.  PM should at least show you now what the camera says.

--dennis

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
Dennis: thanks for the reply. I just took 2 shots with the flash on the camera, one with no EV and one with EV. Both still show +0.0 in PM while the camera shows it correctly. From the variables I have chosen FlashComp: {fcomp}. Is this correct? Also, what did you change? I don't see anything re "external flash".  Richard

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 02:35:36 PM »
Richard,

Dennis: thanks for the reply. I just took 2 shots with the flash on the camera, one with no EV and one with EV. Both still show +0.0 in PM while the camera shows it correctly. From the variables I have chosen FlashComp: {fcomp}. Is this correct? Also, what did you change? I don't see anything re "external flash"

Dennis means that he has fixed the problem in a development build.  You should see the fix in the next update to Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline rbsandor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
Dennis and Kirk: thanks for the great support. Richard

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:12:31 AM »
OK I think I fixed this issue.  It was the new tag for "external flash".

Seems to be working with my D700 and SB-900.

Regarding firing with a PW I don't think the camera knows much about the flash settings.  PM should at least show you now what the camera says.

Thanks Kirk & Dennis, this is good to know. Guess it will work for a D3 then too. I'll eagerly await the next beta or release.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 03:08:35 PM »
Everyone,

Please try the new beta 5 version of PM 4.6.7 and let us know how it works for you in this regard.  Check the Announcements section for information about the beta.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:07 AM »
Hi Kirk, the new beta gives me +0.0 instead of e.g., -1.0 (the previous beta didn't give me anything, so this is an improvement). This is with a raw file from a D3.

Cheers,
    Hayo 
Hayo Baan - Photography