Author Topic: Re Sizing at ingest without external editing?  (Read 7889 times)

Offline atstan13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re Sizing at ingest without external editing?
« on: April 26, 2011, 04:00:33 AM »
Hi,

I am new here and searched the online forums but cannot find the answer that I am looking for.

I wish to ingest pictures directly into folders but have them automatically resized prior to FTP transfer using Filezilla.

I usually just ingest and send at full resolution but will be covering the Royal Wedding and I am afraid that bandwidth is going to be seriously compromised .........hence my wish to re-sized upon ingest.

Incidentally, I must still retain the full size file for future uses .............Is this all possible without using Lightroom etc prior to transfer?

Any help would be really appreciated in this matter,

Stan

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
Re: Re Sizing at ingest without external editing?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
Perhaps a save as function with a checkbox not to duplicate images already in the save to folder.
You could just hit select all and save as every time you ingest...
This would actually be a really useful feature...
I somehow think any changes may be tricky to implement in the next 70 hours....
Break a leg!
Marc
Marc

Offline atstan13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:14:33 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the quick response ...........looking at the system I see whereby I can ingest into a primary and secondary destination, that's no problem .........however I want to ALSO re-sized one set of photos to less than 2mb for transmission via FTP.

All I can find is the whereabouts to "scale" the picture, and it is "defaulted" to 512 pixels ........but I don't think that this is going to compress the file size.

Am I being thick here and is the answer staring me in the face?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:20:36 AM »
Thanks for the quick response ...........looking at the system I see whereby I can ingest into a primary and secondary destination, that's no problem .........however I want to ALSO re-sized one set of photos to less than 2mb for transmission via FTP.

All I can find is the whereabouts to "scale" the picture, and it is "defaulted" to 512 pixels ........but I don't think that this is going to compress the file size.

Am I being thick here and is the answer staring me in the face?

Ingest never modifies image data.  Only metadata (IPTC/XMP, filename) are able to be modified.

Why use Filezilla when PM has a FTP upload feature that will resize your uploaded images without modifying your originals?

Use the FTP Uploader, and while it doesn't have any way to set a limit, you should be able to get them in the area of 2MB fairly easily by adjusting the JPEG quality and the scaled size to get them to that final size.

-Kirk

Offline atstan13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:41:11 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for that ............I'm now converted and won't be using Filezilla to transfer my pictures, but only if, a big "IF" .........only if I can somehow manage to send / transfer a folder containing the photographs.

My agency's sever will only recognise and safely receive pictures in folders ie not loose pictures.

Is this possible?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for that ............I'm now converted and won't be using Filezilla to transfer my pictures, but only if, a big "IF" .........only if I can somehow manage to send / transfer a folder containing the photographs.

My agency's sever will only recognise and safely receive pictures in folders ie not loose pictures.

Is this possible?

Sure.  Just have the FTP Uploader create a folder in the Destination field.

-Kirk

Offline atstan13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
Wow......works perfectly............how did I manage to work without that simple system?

Thanks ..............all I need to do now is capture "that image" of the Royal Wedding :-)

Stan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:20 AM »
Stan,

Wow......works perfectly............how did I manage to work without that simple system?

Thanks ..............all I need to do now is capture "that image" of the Royal Wedding :-)

Good luck!

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 04:26:07 AM »
Stan,
By the way, how was the "Royal shooting"? Did PM help a lot with the uploading of the files?
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi