Author Topic: Closed: Maximum amount of memory used by PM  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Closed: Maximum amount of memory used by PM
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:19:04 AM »
Currently you can not set PM to use more than 1024MB of memory. However, as I frequently use very big files, I think this memory limit is too low. We have 14GB in our machine so there is plenty left to be used for PM :)

Any chance the memory limit can be raised? Perhaps making PM a 64bit app becomes viable now too?

Thanks,
    Hayo

Mac 10.6.7, PM 4.6.7 latest beta
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:29:57 AM by Hayo Baan »
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Maximum amount of memory used by PM
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 07:23:44 AM »
Hayo,

Currently you can not set PM to use more than 1024MB of memory. However, as I frequently use very big files, I think this memory limit is too low. We have 14GB in our machine so there is plenty left to be used for PM :)

Any chance the memory limit can be raised? Perhaps making PM a 64bit app becomes viable now too?

That's the only way we could raise the limit.  On a 32-bit app, raising the Memory Cache size limit would have a detrimental effect.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:24:52 AM »

That's the only way we could raise the limit.  On a 32-bit app, raising the Memory Cache size limit would have a detrimental effect.

Ok, I understand the need for 64-bit in this case. Any plans in that direction (e.g., after/with the catalogue functionality)?

Thanks,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:31:40 AM »
Hayo,

Ok, I understand the need for 64-bit in this case. Any plans in that direction (e.g., after/with the catalogue functionality)?

It would definitely be post-cataloging.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:02:06 PM »
Hi, Hayo
Sorry for the beginner's question, but could you explain or give some more details on what would be the advantages/disadvantages of a 64-bit PM?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 02:23:45 PM »
Luiz,

Sorry for the beginner's question, but could you explain or give some more details on what would be the advantages/disadvantages of a 64-bit PM?

Given a system that has a 64-bit CPU (I think just about all systems nowadays have 64-bit CPUs) a 64-bit application would have a few advantages:

More memory available to the PM application. You could set PM's Memory Cache to several GB if you like (and if your system really has the RAM headroom) and get a lot of potential speedup in caching.
Data can be processed in 64-bit chunks instead of 32-bit chunks.  Possibly speeding up image decompression, and transfer of memory from one block of memory to another.

No real disadvantages that I know of for an application like PM.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
Hi, Kirk
Thanks for your quick reply.
regards,

-Luiz Muzzi