Author Topic: Writing IPTC to RAW files  (Read 4284 times)

Offline msbc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Writing IPTC to RAW files
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:18:59 AM »
I want to write IPTC to my RAW files and not create XMP sidecars. I have a variety of cameras and it seems PM's ability to write to RAW's instead of sidecars is dependent on the RAW file type? If I write to Canon CR2 or Nikon NEF the IPTC values are added/updated in the RAW file. If I write to Panasonic RAW or RW2 files then XMP sidecars are created. Is this expected or a known problem?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Writing IPTC to RAW files
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:20 AM »
Mark,

I want to write IPTC to my RAW files and not create XMP sidecars. I have a variety of cameras and it seems PM's ability to write to RAW's instead of sidecars is dependent on the RAW file type? If I write to Canon CR2 or Nikon NEF the IPTC values are added/updated in the RAW file. If I write to Panasonic RAW or RW2 files then XMP sidecars are created. Is this expected or a known problem?

It is expected.  Panasonic RAW files (RAW and RW2) are not supported for embedding/undo by PM.  Only XMP sidecar files are supported for those formats.

-Kirk

Offline msbc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:24:50 AM »
Kirk,

Are there any technical reasons PM couldn't include Panasonic formats for embedding? I use exiftool extensively and it is able to embed tags in RAW and RW2 formats.

Mark

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
Mark,

Are there any technical reasons PM couldn't include Panasonic formats for embedding? I use exiftool extensively and it is able to embed tags in RAW and RW2 formats.

We have code that we consider experimental for those formats but have not enabled it for general release because we never could find anyone to test modified files against software capable of rendering Panasonic raw files.

What software do you have that renders Panasonic files?  (Besides ACR which we have.)

-Kirk
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:43:27 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline msbc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:17 PM »
Kirk,

I have Aperture 3, Capture One Pro 6.2 and RAW Developer 1.8 - also Lightroom 3.4 if you don't count that as ACR.

I'd be happy to assist with testing.

Mark
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 08:19:15 PM by msbc »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
Mark,

I have Aperture 3, Capture One Pro 6.2 and RAW Developer 1.8 - also Lightroom 3.4 if you don't count that as ACR.

I'd be happy to assist with testing.

Great.  We'll get you a build out sometime this week.

Thanks,

-Kirk