Author Topic: Issues w tagging/locking images with a Nikon D3s  (Read 2890 times)

Offline bvonarx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Issues w tagging/locking images with a Nikon D3s
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:48:27 AM »
I was recently shooting an event with a Nikon D3s using slot 1 for RAW, slot 2 for JPGs and tagging\locking certain images. Upon ingest of the JPG from slot 2 none of the images were tagged\locked but the images from slot 1 were, is this a limitation of the camera or PM (4.6.6)? Many thanks for your help

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issues w tagging/locking images with a Nikon D3s
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »
I was recently shooting an event with a Nikon D3s using slot 1 for RAW, slot 2 for JPGs and tagging\locking certain images. Upon ingest of the JPG from slot 2 none of the images were tagged\locked but the images from slot 1 were, is this a limitation of the camera or PM (4.6.6)? Many thanks for your help

If you view the files on the card in your OS, do the images in question show as locked?

-Kirk

Offline bvonarx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »
They do appear (checked) on the Slot 1 images but not the slot 2, also the Nikon D3s manual does not address this issue

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 12:18:51 PM »
They do appear (checked) on the Slot 1 images but not the slot 2, also the Nikon D3s manual does not address this issue.

My guess is that when you lock messages on the camera it only locks the one image you are viewing (in your case the raw file). This is quite logical I think as the camera really doesn't have a clue as to what images are linked together on both cards (that is, not without doing some further analysis); even if files have the same name, they do not necessary be the same scene. And how about you change one of the two cards (but not both), then both cads will have some shots that are the same and some shots that aren't.

All in all I guess Nikon made the decision to not bother to try to link both cards at all, and only update one of the two.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl