Author Topic: Sticky Notes  (Read 2841 times)

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sticky Notes
« on: May 21, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »
Would it be possible to build a sticky note feature to allow notes on images to remind things like retouch eyes, fix blemish, check hair, etc.  You can color or use stars to indicate something needs to be fixed but it would be great if you could click on the thumbnail, write the notes with a word or two, and continue to edit, and process the raw files, but then be able to go back and fix the selects with a reminder of the problem that you saw on the first pass through.  I often shoot a hundred girls portraits, shooting 40 or so images each.  When I pick the selects I frequently notice small things that need to be fixed, but by then end of the day and 50 girls have been shot finding the few images in the thousands shot becomes a problem to remember exactly what needed to be fixed.  If the notes field had a mark on the contact sheet like a RED star or Green dot that you could click on and the notes would appear would be great then click on delete and the note goes away.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sticky Notes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:01:52 AM »
Would it be possible to build a sticky note feature to allow notes on images to remind things like retouch eyes, fix blemish, check hair, etc.  You can color or use stars to indicate something needs to be fixed but it would be great if you could click on the thumbnail, write the notes with a word or two, and continue to edit, and process the raw files, but then be able to go back and fix the selects with a reminder of the problem that you saw on the first pass through.  I often shoot a hundred girls portraits, shooting 40 or so images each.  When I pick the selects I frequently notice small things that need to be fixed, but by then end of the day and 50 girls have been shot finding the few images in the thousands shot becomes a problem to remember exactly what needed to be fixed.  If the notes field had a mark on the contact sheet like a RED star or Green dot that you could click on and the notes would appear would be great then click on delete and the note goes away.

That's an interesting idea, but how about using an IPTC field?  While in the preview window, simply pressing 'i' will bring up the IPTC Info for the photo you're looking at.  Just type 'NOTE:' followed by what you want to remind yourself of and save the IPTC.

Later you can use the Find panel to search on the field you use for your notes and just search for NOTE.  All of the images that have notes will be selected.  Or perhaps even better, put the {variable} that corresponds to the field that you use for your notes into the Info Text and as one of the three available labels on the contact sheet thumbnails.  That way you can always see them in the Preview window or the Contact sheet.

Not as elegant as your idea, but not only would it work in PM, but you could also see your notes in the Info panel in Photoshop as well.

-Kirk

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Notes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 02:31:54 PM »
Thanks Kirk...That is the process I am currently using, but here is the problem with that.  Here is some of the background.  I shoot RAW for every shoot.  In the case of Miss Universe we are dealing with 80 plus contestants and if every contestant has an evening gown, portrait, swimsuit, National Costume, Competition outfits, Sponsor outfits, etc. photo session, multiply that times 50 or more images each we end up taking thousands of images in a few days.

So we can locate all of the images for every contestant years later, we batch insert captions to all of the RAW files with name, country, etc.  Then we select the favorites in PM.  At this point we detect things that need to be touched up for the various program books, website, and internal uses.  I then use colors to isolate the selects and I put notes into the ITPC field to indicate further work.  We also send a few of these images to media.  Those images used for any media are then processed to JPEG and not retouched.  We copy those images to a separate folder for transmission.  If I forget to remove the remarks from the raw files that are converted to JPEG files for the media they might think they may have been altered even though they are not.  So I then have to go back through those images, now in the hundred range each day and remove those remarks.  We are finding that if you re enter the ITPC data it somehow becomes corrupt and end users such as AFP can not see any caption information on there end.  The fix has been to actually open each image in photoshop, change something in the caption field and re save before transmission.

In addition it is very time consuming to open each image and view some of the non used IPTC fields in photoshop one at a time.  I was looking for a solution that would not be readable by anyone but that users PM program. 

Perhaps I am among a small group that this would be useful for.  I will leave that up to you guys.  You make by far the best software for quickly browsing through tens of thousands of images without bogging down to a crawl.

Thanks so much for your continued support.