Author Topic: untag ingested files automatically  (Read 7575 times)

Offline oryk

• View Profile
untag ingested files automatically
« on: May 09, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »
it would be a help for my workflow to have this option: untag ingested files automatically
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: untag ingested files automatically
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 05:22:05 PM »
it would be a help for my workflow to have this option: untag ingested files automatically

Hi, Oryk
What do you mean by "untag"? Aren't they originally untagged?
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
Luiz,

What do you mean by "untag"? Aren't they originally untagged?

It depends on whether the images were 'locked' in the camera.  In that case PM sets them as tagged upon Ingest.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »
Could be a useful option.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 07:31:00 AM »
In certain cases it could be helpful to have all photos untagged during ingest. It could be optional on the ingest dialog.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 04:27:42 AM »
It could be optional...
Anyway, one has locked the pictures so that they were not inadvertedly deleted in the camera. Perhaps it was done so because they were the most important ones...it is natural that they get a tag mark when they are ingested so that the photographer knows which ones where those.
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:37:38 AM »
It could be optional...
Anyway, one has locked the pictures so that they were not inadvertedly deleted in the camera. Perhaps it was done so because they were the most important ones...it is natural that they get a tag mark when they are ingested so that the photographer knows which ones where those.

Hi Luiz, well, actually "tagged" for me means ready for deletion; I use the tag to quickly mark the real crappy or otherwise redundant shots. Now I don't use the "tag" function in-camera but if I accidentally would mark a photo in-camera, it would be nice I could have PM automatically untag the file.

But yeah, your reasoning will be true for many people too, so if this gets implemented it should be an option.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:30:30 AM »
Hayo Baan: your approach is a pretty strange one. I don't usually mark for delete in camera rather I delete. Especially because if you tag (or rather protect) a file in camera it becomes write protected so to say erase proof. Of course if you like do so but I find it strange.

I have two ways to use the protect function in camera:

1. To mark the best shots I want to send so I can quickly send them when ingested.
In this case I would not like PM to remove the tag I set to be used for selecting phtoos in PM.

2. To protect the keeper shots mostly during a sports event where I usually shoot a lot more rounds than I need to keep. So when I have some time I run through the photos and protect those I want to keep to choose the ones I want to send. After all such files are protected I simply choose an "Erase all photos" option and everything is deleted that has no delete protection. This results all my files are protected when I ingest and I don't need this.
In this case I definietly would like the option to remove the tags I only needed to protect the photos from deletition in the camera but I don't need them any more in PM.

By the way some new cameras have starratings as well to help in camera photo selections - but I don't own one such.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
Szurkebarat,
Option #1 is exactly what I thought when the issue was raised, but you are right in mentioning option #2. In case one has already deleted all unwanted files in-camera, all remaining (and locked) files should probably be untagged when ingested (so that the best ones are subsequently tagged/classed in PM).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 11:33:19 PM »
Hayo Baan: your approach is a pretty strange one. I don't usually mark for delete in camera rather I delete. Especially because if you tag (or rather protect) a file in camera it becomes write protected so to say erase proof. Of course if you like do so but I find it strange.

Hi szurkebarat,

As I said, I do not tag in-camera, rather I use the tag in PM for marking files ready for deletion. I see nothing strange in that ;D

You mention you delete files directly on the camera, unless you only delete the last images on the card, I would warn you against doing that because if your card ever fails (or is formatted accidentally) recovery software will have a much harder time in getting your images backā€¦

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography