Author Topic: Smugmug Captions and Keywords Incorrect  (Read 6174 times)

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Dougie Coull Photography
Smugmug Captions and Keywords Incorrect
« on: May 20, 2011, 10:21:07 AM »
Using Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and PM Ver 4.6.6.

When I upload a Jpeg to Smugmug it appears on Smugmug with an incorrect 'Caption' and the 'Keywords' aren't correct as per the IPTC data either.

As an example the IPTC data shows the caption as 'Philipp' but on Smugmug it appears as 'SD Newton' which is a previously used caption.

The keywords are correct - except - it is adding 'SD Newton' too.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have ticked caption/headline/keywords boxes, but not in the '+' box.

My headline box uses the {caption} variable.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 10:25:01 AM by doug_PM_coull »
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Smugmug Captions and Keywords Incorrect
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
Doug,

Using Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and PM Ver 4.6.6.

When I upload a Jpeg to Smugmug it appears on Smugmug with an incorrect 'Caption' and the 'Keywords' aren't correct as per the IPTC data either.

As an example the IPTC data shows the caption as 'Philipp' but on Smugmug it appears as 'SD Newton' which is a previously used caption.

The keywords are correct - except - it is adding 'SD Newton' too.

Am I doing something wrong?

I have ticked caption/headline/keywords boxes, but not in the '+' box.

My headline box uses the {caption} variable.

Your screen shot is showing the IPTC Stationery Pad which is not specific to any image and is used for bulk application of metadata.  Please use the 'i' button that appears on your image when you move your mouse over it.  This will bring up the IPTC Info for your image and will show you the current IPTC/XMP data for the image.

Perhaps when you see the actual data you'll see what the issue is.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »

Thanks Kirk, think this is what you're looking for -

Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »
Doug,

Thanks Kirk, think this is what you're looking for -

Do you have ExifTool?  If so, then if you run it on this photo you may find that the EXIF image description tag contains 'SD Newton' in it.  PM does not edit the EXIF image description field and leaves whatever already exists alone.  I'm not sure where SmugMug is getting the additional keyword but perhaps ExifTool will help explain things as well.

Did you caption these images prior to using PM?  And if so, what software did you use to do it?

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »
Thanks again Kirk.

I downloaded Exiftool, though normally use Photome.

Copied and pasted the data from Exiftool to a 'Word' doucument and searched through and 'SD Newton' doesn't show up anywhere. Not in Photome either.

I don't use anything other than PM to input my data. I edit in Photoshop CS5 and export to my required size via Picasa 3, and finally watermark with Watermark Factory.

I think Smugmug may be taking the rogue keyword from the caption, so if we can resolve the incorrect caption issue then I think the keyword issue will self resolve.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:15:34 PM by doug_PM_coull »
Cheers,

Dougie.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:17:02 PM »
Doug,

I downloaded Exiftool, though normally use Photome.

Copied and pasted the data from Exiftool to a 'Word' doucument and searched through and 'SD Newton' doesn't show up anywhere. Not in Photome either.

I don't use anything other than PM to input my data. I edit in Photoshop CS5 and export to my required size via Picasa 3, and finally watermark with Watermark Factory.

I think Smugmug may be taking the rogue keyword from the caption, so if we can resolve the incorrect caption issue then I think the keyword issue will self resolve.

I'm not sure where to go next.  PM doesn't show 'SD Newton' anywhere nor does ExifTool.  So where is Smugmug getting it from?  If you want to send me a sample file, I'll search the entire file with a hex editor and see if 'SD Newton' appears anywhere in it.  Please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

-Kirk

Offline doug_PM_coull

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 12:17:06 AM »

Kirk - dropped you a PM - but also did a few more experiments to try to clarify things.

Result is that when I upload a file via PM - with '_PM' added to the name to ID it - it's messing up the caption and keywords - though again I think the keyword issue may be that Smugmug is grabbing the caption and adding to the keywords.

However the same file uploaded via Picas 3 arrives with the caption etc correct. So it appears to be the PM upload that is causing the problem.

Just as another check I again renamed the file with '_SM' and uploaded via the Smugmug java uploaded and it's OK too.

Hope this is clear, but more than happy to try anything you would need me to do to resolve.

Cheers,

Dougie.