Author Topic: iptc mistakes using words with accents  (Read 3798 times)

Offline slideshow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
iptc mistakes using words with accents
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »
I'm using the Photo mechanic 4.6.1, with Latin1 western european default encoding. When writing in portuguese language, i need to use a lot of accent words.
 It's happening that after saving the files,  this accent letters disappears, turning the words incorrect (non sense), it happens also with:  "ç" and "nº" .
The strange thing is that it's not occurring in all files info.
Is it a bug?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: iptc mistakes using words with accents
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
I'm using the Photo mechanic 4.6.1, with Latin1 western european default encoding. When writing in portuguese language, i need to use a lot of accent words.
 It's happening that after saving the files,  this accent letters disappears, turning the words incorrect (non sense), it happens also with:  "ç" and "nº" .
The strange thing is that it's not occurring in all files info.
Is it a bug?

Does Latin1 have all of the characters that you need?  Is any other software being used besides PM that might alter IPTC data?

Is there a reason you need to use IPTC, or can you use XMP instead?  If you use XMP, Unicode will be used and it can certainly represent Portuguese.

-Kirk

Offline JMichael

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: iptc mistakes using words with accents
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:32:09 AM »
Just a quick note on my experience with accents and tildes (˜). While I've not had problems putting these in my captions with PM, many of the systems I send photos to don't handle them so I will write a name like Castañeda in a caption as such:  Julio Castaneda [EDITORS NOTE: THERE IS A TILDE OVER THE N IN CASTANEDA].  I do the same with accents. Hope this helps.

JM