Author Topic: Batch file reduction  (Read 5397 times)

Offline clphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Batch file reduction
« on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:18 PM »
PM 4.6.6, Macbook Pro 2.66, Intel i7, 8 G Ram

I'm ingesting 500 to 1000 images - RAW & Jpeg large, at a time, deleting and renaming.  I deliver on HD but my photo editor wants all jpegs sent to him via a dropbox site.  He wants the jpegs "

8x12 inches at 300 dpi, jpeg 10, they should be about 1-2 megs. "

I've been doing a file, save as function but I need to know the best settings to use.  My original jpegs are 4 to 7 megs each depending on which camera I'm using.  I'd like them all to be the same size (reducing the larger ones more to match the other smaller originals.)

Is this possible in PM or do I need to do a batch process in PS.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Batch file reduction
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »
I'm ingesting 500 to 1000 images - RAW & Jpeg large, at a time, deleting and renaming.  I deliver on HD but my photo editor wants all jpegs sent to him via a dropbox site.  He wants the jpegs "

8x12 inches at 300 dpi, jpeg 10, they should be about 1-2 megs. "

I've been doing a file, save as function but I need to know the best settings to use.  My original jpegs are 4 to 7 megs each depending on which camera I'm using.  I'd like them all to be the same size (reducing the larger ones more to match the other smaller originals.)

Is this possible in PM or do I need to do a batch process in PS.

You should be able to do that in PM.  Select your photos.  Set Save As to scale to a 3600 pixel box.  Set the DPI to 300.  Adjust the JPEG slider so it produces an image of about 1.5 MB in size.  Then save them all.

The sizes of the images will vary according to their complexity, but since your editor gave you a range, you should be able to keep them under 2 MB in size.

-Kirk

Offline clphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:03:55 PM »
Thanks - as always amazing support

Offline clphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:46:32 PM »
So this is where it gets interesting.....I'm shooting with 4 different cameras, different file sizes.  When I set up the file, save as and use your settings I get the following results:

The image shot with a 5dmk11 is a 7 meg file and it saves as 1.5 megs...perfect...but in a batch save as, the same settings, the images shot with  G-11 3.5 megs save as a 2.5 or more.  Not getting how a smaller file saves bigger than a saved larger original.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:40:24 PM »
So this is where it gets interesting.....I'm shooting with 4 different cameras, different file sizes.  When I set up the file, save as and use your settings I get the following results:

The image shot with a 5dmk11 is a 7 meg file and it saves as 1.5 megs...perfect...but in a batch save as, the same settings, the images shot with  G-11 3.5 megs save as a 2.5 or more.  Not getting how a smaller file saves bigger than a saved larger original.

What is the resolution of the G-11?  Please note that when you save a file, it is decompressed then image processing occurs (scaling, rotation, sharpening, color space conversion, etc.) and then the image is compressed again according to your settings.  It is entirely possible that your images can get larger than the original JPEG if the quality of the original JPEG was already fairly low.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 11:20:45 AM »
Kirk,
I think I have already asked for that...
It would be nice if one could optionally set the size (or the maximum size) of the jpeg of a bunch of files (like 2 MB for instance) instead of adjusting the jpeg slider.
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi