Author Topic: Deleting a folder in Windows????  (Read 4932 times)

Offline Big Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Deleting a folder in Windows????
« on: May 30, 2011, 01:36:28 PM »
I have the latest download, 4.6, running on Windows 7. Why cant I delete a folder? I used to be able to with older versions. "Delete" button does nothing, "right click" leaves me no delete option either. Such a simple, and common task, but cant do it. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Deleting a folder in Windows????
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
I have the latest download, 4.6, running on Windows 7. Why cant I delete a folder? I used to be able to with older versions. "Delete" button does nothing, "right click" leaves me no delete option either. Such a simple, and common task, but cant do it. Am I missing something?

What options are listed?

Are you using the Favorites or the Navigator?

-Kirk

Offline Big Shooter

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
now I see it. I guess it cant be done from favourites. Too bad. I have to be in navigator. Will this be added to favourites? (the ability to delete?)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
now I see it. I guess it cant be done from favourites. Too bad. I have to be in navigator. Will this be added to favourites? (the ability to delete?)

I'll try and add it for the next major version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:05:13 AM »
Kirk,

I would like to add that although the favorites panel could be very useful, for me it is a useless aggravation because every time I use it I invariably end up wanting to to do some right click context menu operation that appears in the Navigator panel but is not available from Favorites and as a result I have to go chase down the folder in the Navigator panel.

I think it would be most helpful if you made the Favorites folder context menu look exactly like the Navigator menu, and put this issue to bed once and for all.  The Delete operation is just one of several missing menu options.  The Properties option is also very important because it is a sanity check I use before deleting a folder to double check that there really aren't any files in the folder that I'm about to delete.  Deleting empty folders is my most used reason for the Delete folder operation.

It would also be helpful to add the sectional division lines to the Favorites menu to make it look literally exactly like the Navigator option.  I find it very disorienting to bounce back and forth between those two context menus.  The Navigator context menu is very well designed.  The Favorites is, in comparison, an afterthought.

Best,
Neil

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 06:02:57 AM »
Neil,

I would like to add that although the favorites panel could be very useful, for me it is a useless aggravation because every time I use it I invariably end up wanting to to do some right click context menu operation that appears in the Navigator panel but is not available from Favorites and as a result I have to go chase down the folder in the Navigator panel.

I think it would be most helpful if you made the Favorites folder context menu look exactly like the Navigator menu, and put this issue to bed once and for all.  The Delete operation is just one of several missing menu options.  The Properties option is also very important because it is a sanity check I use before deleting a folder to double check that there really aren't any files in the folder that I'm about to delete.  Deleting empty folders is my most used reason for the Delete folder operation.

It would also be helpful to add the sectional division lines to the Favorites menu to make it look literally exactly like the Navigator option.  I find it very disorienting to bounce back and forth between those two context menus.  The Navigator context menu is very well designed.  The Favorites is, in comparison, an afterthought.

The person responsible for the Favorites no longer works here.  I am in the process of rewriting it for the next major version of Photo Mechanic.  Rest assured that I will do everything necessary to make the Favorites feel as much like the Navigator as possible.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
Kirk,
Very good indeed!
It seems that everything we request has already been thought of..
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi