Author Topic: PM 4.6.7, smugmug upload and option 'replace duplicate'  (Read 4662 times)

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 4.6.7, smugmug upload and option 'replace duplicate'
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:59:20 AM »
Hi,
I reactivate this thread because I didn't got any feedback the first time ...
I have tried with PM 4.6.7 (final release) and the inconvenient is still there.

When uploading to smugmug, it is not possible to specify how duplicates files (i-e files already in smugmug) must be handled by smugmug.
smugmug offers 'replace duplicates', 'skip duplicates' and 'allow duplicates'
'replace duplicates' is very convenient when you have to update many already uploaded photos , as smugmug will retain any manual adjustments as reorder or caption you have done in its database.
for the moment this is 'allow duplicates' which is applied, which means that there will be more than one copy in smugmug, and the last one (the 'best' one from your point of view) is the one without manual adjustments.

i have not found any place in smugmug to change this default, and there is no way to specify this option in PM

what do you think about this ?

Note: my current workflow must be in  three step involving three different applications
extract jpeg from NEF with PM (intermediate files)
reduce the size of the jpeg (another intermediate file)
send to smugmug

with proper option in PM smugmug uploader the workflow could be:
upload to smugmug from PM in ONE step by selecting directly the NEF, specify the reduced size and 'replace duplicates'. All in one step, no intermediate files.

Best regards
Frédéric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 4.6.7, smugmug upload and option 'replace duplicate'
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 06:20:58 AM »
Frédéric,

what do you think about this ?

I think it would be useful, but will have to wait until the next major version of Photo Mechanic for implementation.

-Kirk

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:30:52 AM »
Kirk,
Thank you for your answer

I thought the solution could be in the connect script to smugmug, not in the PM code, so independant of the PM version ?
In fact, i think this is just an option to select in the sender program (script) and transfer to smugmug prior sending the files themselves. The sender continues to send all files, smugmug handles them as specified in this option ??
Infortunately, there is no way to change the default in smugmug, which is 'allow duplicate'. It must be set by the sender, prior to each transfer session.

I hope this could help, as this would be a great feature i think for people using smugmug
Frédéric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
Frédéric,

I thought the solution could be in the connect script to smugmug, not in the PM code, so independant of the PM version ?
In fact, i think this is just an option to select in the sender program (script) and transfer to smugmug prior sending the files themselves. The sender continues to send all files, smugmug handles them as specified in this option ??
Infortunately, there is no way to change the default in smugmug, which is 'allow duplicate'. It must be set by the sender, prior to each transfer session.

The template code would have to be changed.  This requires engineering effort.  While I think your feature request is useful, it will have to wait until engineering resources are available.  Unless the task would take less than half an hour, I just can't spare the time at this point.  I know that I'd have to research the Smugmug API for how to send the information, and add UI to the template to allow you to choose your desired method.  This would certainly take several hours.

We're very busy right now.

-Kirk

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:55:58 AM »

I understand your situation, i am myself in software development ...
If i have time and energy i will have a look at the script file for smugmug (and try to understand it), but after the winter (europe) i prefer to go outside and take pictures than spend hours in front of my computer during the week-end

Best regards
Frédéric

Offline jmacht

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 07:59:17 PM »
has this been addessed in new updates?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member