Author Topic: FTP "question"  (Read 6316 times)

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
FTP "question"
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:18:15 AM »
Hi @ all!

When using FTP to transmit images to my homepage, they are resized to max 600 px longest side.
I am currently uploading a lot images and PM copies the full size images to the cache-folder. This means several GB of data are copied. Right before the transmission starts the image is resized.

After the FTP-job is completed the files are remaining in the cache-folder until PM is closed.
Wouldn't it be an alternative to delete the items after the job is done to free up some space?

BR
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTP "question"
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »
Sven,

When using FTP to transmit images to my homepage, they are resized to max 600 px longest side.
I am currently uploading a lot images and PM copies the full size images to the cache-folder. This means several GB of data are copied. Right before the transmission starts the image is resized.

After the FTP-job is completed the files are remaining in the cache-folder until PM is closed.
Wouldn't it be an alternative to delete the items after the job is done to free up some space?

Sure, that would be a more efficient use of your disk space.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 03:22:38 PM »
Sven,

Sure, that would be a more efficient use of your disk space.

-Kirk

Kirk, did you not change this behavior? As I remember this problem came up previously and you told it will change the way PM will free up the space it uses for these temporary files. Or is it just a plan for a major release?
It would be great because I often have to send thousands of images and my MacBook Air is quite efficient in work but has very limited drive space to waste.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:38:22 AM »
Another point comes to my attention...

When selecting a lot of images to be uploaded, the copy-process takes a significant amount of time. During this time PM is not usable as the "copying selected Photos" dialog remains on top of PM.

Is there a way to shift this dialogue into the background to continue tagging images in a different Contact Sheet?

BR
Sven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:43:54 AM »
Sven,

Another point comes to my attention...

When selecting a lot of images to be uploaded, the copy-process takes a significant amount of time. During this time PM is not usable as the "copying selected Photos" dialog remains on top of PM.

Is there a way to shift this dialogue into the background to continue tagging images in a different Contact Sheet?

No.  It needs to be this way to keep users from deleting files that are yet to be uploaded.  I'm sure you're not one that would do this, but we have to do as much as possible to protect users from themselves.

-Kirk

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 06:48:54 AM »
Kirk,
No.  It needs to be this way to keep users from deleting files that are yet to be uploaded.  I'm sure you're not one that would do this, but we have to do as much as possible to protect users from themselves.

:)

But they can still use Finder or Explorer to do that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:52:42 AM »
Sven,

:)

But they can still use Finder or Explorer to do that.

Indeed.  There is only so much we can do to prevent user error.

-Kirk