Author Topic: Unable to save IPTC info  (Read 6272 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Unable to save IPTC info
« on: June 05, 2011, 10:24:34 PM »
I just tried to use a find and replace on a folder of about 2000 images and during the process PM tells: "Error: Unable to save IPTC info."
After clicking OK the process seems to continue. Then the error message returns some times but after few times the process continues. I cannot decide what may cause this. I never saw any similar warning at all.
After the process is done all seems OK. Searching for the replaced keywords does not find anything so despite the error message it seems it did replace all instances. But I don't understand why the error comes up or what it means.

I am using Snow Leopard on a 11" MacBook Air 4 GB RAM 1.6 GHz with the latest PM official release.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unable to save IPTC info
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 06:03:13 AM »
I just tried to use a find and replace on a folder of about 2000 images and during the process PM tells: "Error: Unable to save IPTC info."
After clicking OK the process seems to continue. Then the error message returns some times but after few times the process continues. I cannot decide what may cause this. I never saw any similar warning at all.
After the process is done all seems OK. Searching for the replaced keywords does not find anything so despite the error message it seems it did replace all instances. But I don't understand why the error comes up or what it means.

I am using Snow Leopard on a 11" MacBook Air 4 GB RAM 1.6 GHz with the latest PM official release.

It means that some file(s) were not updated due to any number of possible errors.  If you close the contact sheet and open it again, the images that didn't update won't have their keywords changed.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »

It means that some file(s) were not updated due to any number of possible errors.  If you close the contact sheet and open it again, the images that didn't update won't have their keywords changed.

-Kirk

The strange is I don't see any sign of the error leaving any data change. I was trying to change an expression in all the captions so it would be quite easy to find the files that were skipped - but it appears there are none - then why the error message?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
Did you close and reopen the contact sheet and then check for your changes?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 05:49:34 PM »

-Kirk

Now I have the error again but what can cause this and how can this be overcame? I seem to have it only with RAW files (CR2 in my case).
Now I have a workaround since I first extract the embedded JPG and then usually open a combined contact sheet to have all modifications (especially the crops that are otherwise not synchronized) in both versions.

So I discovered the error only comes up with the RAW files. Thus I made the IPTC change on the JPG files and update it in the RAW.

But this still does not solve the initial problem there is something happening to my files that disables editing their IPTC data. And numbers show the error disrupts the process so the first file uneditable seems to cancel the process so not any files get the new imput when the first error is encountered.
I never met this issue before the latest version of PM. And it greatly concerns me.

It would be great to have a method to discover:
a. what causes the error
b. which files are affected
c. how to solve the issue
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »

-Kirk

Now I have the error again but what can cause this and how can this be overcame? I seem to have it only with RAW files (CR2 in my case).
Now I have a workaround since I first extract the embedded JPG and then usually open a combined contact sheet to have all modifications (especially the crops that are otherwise not synchronized) in both versions.

So I discovered the error only comes up with the RAW files. Thus I made the IPTC change on the JPG files and update it in the RAW.

But this still does not solve the initial problem there is something happening to my files that disables editing their IPTC data. And numbers show the error disrupts the process so the first file uneditable seems to cancel the process so not any files get the new imput when the first error is encountered.
I never met this issue before the latest version of PM. And it greatly concerns me.

a. what causes the error

Do you have a sample image that when you try to save IPTC on it that it fails?  If so, could you share it with us?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:16:08 AM »

-Kirk

a. what causes the error

Do you have a sample image that when you try to save IPTC on it that it fails?  If so, could you share it with us?

-Kirk

My workaroud failed also witht the same error, I cannot update the IPTC of the erroneous CR2s.
Of course I am happy to help you with sample files.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:00:31 PM »
I get from time to time the same error. Usually trying to save the change a second time it works.

But just today I had a weird issue that I got the error with some files, and after klicking "OK" the file info did not only reverse back to a previous version, but to the info that was emedded during initial ingest (at least 1, sometimes 2 edit steps back). And that with all files I touched. I closed and reopen PM to be sure it worked again.

Not sure what that was/is. By the way I'm still running version 4.5.4 on a WinXP system.

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »
Szurkebarat,

I looked at one of the files you sent and it appears that the XMP data was truncated and this would explain why you are getting an error if you are reading embedded XMP or IPTC first.  But I've gone over the code in detail and don't see how this could happen that the XMP is truncated.  Furthermore, if I revert your file and try to embed XMP and IPTC into the CR2 using the metadata in the associated XMP sidecar file you provided, I don't see how the file would not have had two additional tags (image description and artist) added.  These tags were missing in your CR2, indicating that this must have been done with an older version of PM (or perhaps the file was originally modified with an older version of PM).  I was able to modify the sample CR2 file without problem (I had my prefs set to read XMP sidecar first and to embed IPTC and XMP).

So I need more specifics in order to understand what happened.  I need to have a copy of the file prior to the error occurring, the exact operation that caused the error (e.g. find "X" in field "Y" and replace with "Z").  I also need your IPTC/XMP preference settings.

I sent you two personal messages and haven't heard back.

--dennis
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 03:45:12 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
Szurkebarat,

I looked at one of the files you sent and it appears that the XMP data was truncated and this would explain why you are getting an error if you are reading embedded XMP or IPTC first.  But I've gone over the code in detail and don't see how this could happen that the XMP is truncated.  Furthermore, if I revert your file and try to embed XMP and IPTC into the CR2 using the metadata in the associated XMP sidecar file you provided, I don't see how the file would not have had two additional tags (image description and artist) added.  These tags were missing in your CR2, indicating that this must have been done with an older version of PM (or perhaps the file was originally modified with an older version of PM).  I was able to modify the sample CR2 file without problem (I had my prefs set to read XMP sidecar first and to embed IPTC and XMP).

So I need more specifics in order to understand what happened.  I need to have a copy of the file prior to the error occurring, the exact operation that caused the error (e.g. find "X" in field "Y" and replace with "Z").  I also need your IPTC/XMP preference settings.

I sent you two personal messages and haven't heard back.

--dennis

Sorry I wasn't coming to the site for a while. I'll try to reproduce the error and answer your PMs.
Allways shooting RAW.