Author Topic: code replacement: extra "\" after replacement happens  (Read 1800 times)

Offline pprior

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
code replacement: extra "\" after replacement happens
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »
New user, so maybe I'm doing something wrong....

I've seen two issues with code replacement

1) the first line of my text file will not register/work.  All subsequent lines work fine (I worked around this by inserting a dummy line at the top of the file, but it seems like a bug)

2) Every time I put a code replacement in such as "\14\" which translates to "Joe Smith" when the program inserts the text it leaves the last "\" character so I actually end up with "Joe Smith\" so I have to constantly hit the backspace key after I enter a code replacement each time.

An unrelated issue: is there a way to automatically advance/add keywords?  As it appears to have to have a comma between them, I edited my code replacement text file to have the comma (ie.  "14    , Joe Smith") but this seems kludgy if I also want to put it in the descriptor somewhere I don't want that comma.

thanks very much - looking forward to learning and using this program as I frequently take hundreds or thousands of pictures and import/keywording etc is a major issue for me.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: code replacement: extra "\" after replacement happens
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
New user, so maybe I'm doing something wrong....

I've seen two issues with code replacement

1) the first line of my text file will not register/work.  All subsequent lines work fine (I worked around this by inserting a dummy line at the top of the file, but it seems like a bug)

2) Every time I put a code replacement in such as "\14\" which translates to "Joe Smith" when the program inserts the text it leaves the last "\" character so I actually end up with "Joe Smith\" so I have to constantly hit the backspace key after I enter a code replacement each time.

An unrelated issue: is there a way to automatically advance/add keywords?  As it appears to have to have a comma between them, I edited my code replacement text file to have the comma (ie.  "14    , Joe Smith") but this seems kludgy if I also want to put it in the descriptor somewhere I don't want that comma.

thanks very much - looking forward to learning and using this program as I frequently take hundreds or thousands of pictures and import/keywording etc is a major issue for me.

It sounds to me like you have edited your Code Replacement file with a rich text editor and you're seeing extra formatting characters because of that format.  Use a plain text editor like Notepad (Windows) or Text Wrangler (Mac) instead.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline pprior

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »
You are correct.  A beginner mistake.  I was using text edit (built in to mac) and it has an option for plain text, but I didn't select it. I tried just changing the file I already created but it didn't work.  So I downloaded Text Wrangler and copied the text into it and it now works fine without the extra "\"

Any comment on the other issue with regards to keywording and adding the extra ", "?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:52:22 PM »
Any comment on the other issue with regards to keywording and adding the extra ", "?

You'll just have to type your own comma after you type your end delimiter.

-Kirk