Author Topic: portrait orientation lost in Lightroom after PM edit  (Read 4865 times)

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
portrait orientation lost in Lightroom after PM edit
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:53:01 AM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic 4.6.7 on Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Portrait orientation was lost in Lightroom 3.4.1 after PM edit of NEF/JPG/XMP files.

1) Import some NEF/JPG pairs (two years old) into Adobe Lightroom 3.4.1 (LR), NEFs made with Nikon D700, once edited with and JPGs produced by Nikon ViewNX 1.5 (WinXP).
2) Portrait orientation is displayed correctly in LR, LR writes new XMP sidecar file.
3) Edit IPTC/XMP info with PM (add keywords, correct location, add photographer info), write down changes to NEF, JPG and XMP.
4) Portrait orientation is still displayed correctly in PM.
5) "Synchronise folder" in LR, read metadata changes into LR
6) LR displays portrait orientated pictures as landscape.

Any hints where to look?

My guess is that the XMP file re-written by PM contains the wrong orientation. Where is the portrait/landscape orientation coded in an XMP file?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: portrait orientation lost in Lightroom after PM edit
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:29:01 AM »
I'm running Photo Mechanic 4.6.7 on Mac OS X 10.6.7.

Portrait orientation was lost in Lightroom 3.4.1 after PM edit of NEF/JPG/XMP files.

1) Import some NEF/JPG pairs (two years old) into Adobe Lightroom 3.4.1 (LR), NEFs made with Nikon D700, once edited with and JPGs produced by Nikon ViewNX 1.5 (WinXP).
2) Portrait orientation is displayed correctly in LR, LR writes new XMP sidecar file.
3) Edit IPTC/XMP info with PM (add keywords, correct location, add photographer info), write down changes to NEF, JPG and XMP.
4) Portrait orientation is still displayed correctly in PM.
5) "Synchronise folder" in LR, read metadata changes into LR
6) LR displays portrait orientated pictures as landscape.

Any hints where to look?

My guess is that the XMP file re-written by PM contains the wrong orientation. Where is the portrait/landscape orientation coded in an XMP file?

I don't know offhand.  Please post one of your XMP sidecar files before and after the edit by PM.  It should be simple to figure out what changed then.  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your XMP sidecar files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 11:42:33 PM »
...send you an offline message with the two files

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:50:19 AM »
Hello, any news on this topic?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »
Hello, any news on this topic?

No.  Dennis is looking into it.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 02:01:11 PM »
...send you an offline message with the two files

Could we have a set of before and after photos and sidecars?  One set before PM is used and one set after PM is used?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline nikkoreye

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:32:14 AM »
Hello, it seems to be a bug in Lightroom. I import one of these once ViewNX-edited NEF files (portrait orientation) into Lightroom (LR) and create a sidecar file (PM also shows portrait orientation without and with sidecar file). Then I drop this photo from LR and re-import it in LR. Et voilĂ , now LR displays a landscape oriented photo.

It even happens (display landscape orientation of a portrait oriented photo) when I create a file copy of the NEF/XMP pair of the image already imported into LR to another folder (using command line and cp) and import this file pair into LR (with unchecking "drop duplicates" in the import dialogue).

Some lecture I found about this problem:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_sometimes_changes_orientation_inadvertently
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photo_orientation_lost_in_lightroom

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.