Author Topic: "Save Photos As" using original resolution  (Read 4413 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
"Save Photos As" using original resolution
« on: June 08, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
When preparing to edit a batch of JPEGs, the first thing I always do is use the "Save Photos As" command to create TIFF copies of the whole batch. I've run into a problem this time because the client's photos are random resolutions and they need to be left as is... no size/resolution changes.

I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to do this. The resolution dialog can't be left blank, and the resolution variable can't be entered either. Is there any way to use the "Save Photos As" command and keep the images at their original resolution?

If this can't be done currently, is there a possibility of adding this option to the "Save Photos As" dialog? Maybe just a "Use original resolution" check box?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Save Photos As" using original resolution
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »
When preparing to edit a batch of JPEGs, the first thing I always do is use the "Save Photos As" command to create TIFF copies of the whole batch. I've run into a problem this time because the client's photos are random resolutions and they need to be left as is... no size/resolution changes.

I hope I'm not missing something obvious, but I can't figure out how to do this. The resolution dialog can't be left blank, and the resolution variable can't be entered either. Is there any way to use the "Save Photos As" command and keep the images at their original resolution?

If this can't be done currently, is there a possibility of adding this option to the "Save Photos As" dialog? Maybe just a "Use original resolution" check box?

I take it that the 'no scaling' radio button setting isn't working for you?  That should take care of the size changes.

You need the DPI to stay the same?  There's no accommodation for that not to change at this time.

You could always make a Photoshop Droplet that does the conversion for you and drive it from Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 08:05:01 PM »
The "no scaling" button works, it's just the resolution number I need to keep from changing. I guess I could use a droplet, but if it at all possible, maybe you would consider the suggestion of adding a "use original resolution" button. Or perhaps just allow the user to leave the resolution box blank, indicating that no change is wanted.
To be honest, now that I've run across the need for this (and I'll be needing it constantly in the future) it seems like a necessity to have the option to NOT change something, instead of being forced to alter the resolution. Just like "no scaling", I think users should have the option to leave the resolution unchanged.
Just my 2 cents...
Thanks Kirk.

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 12:32:13 AM »
Just tried the droplet suggestion but that isn't going to work. To create a "Save As" action you must specify a location to save to, so the action would always save to the same place. I need the ability to save the TIFF copies back into their original locations which are always changing.

That's the beauty of using PM for this. I have the option to save to the original folder or to a folder I choose each time, something I don't think is possible with an action/droplet. For these types of projects I made myself a simple "Save As" snapshot that creates TIFF copies and saves them to the original folder. It works beautifully, and only needs is the ability to leave the resolution unchanged.

For now I'll just have to save as TIFFs individually instead of batching them, but hopefully you will consider changing the "Save As" behaviour so that altering the resolution is optional.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:51 AM »
Just tried the droplet suggestion but that isn't going to work. To create a "Save As" action you must specify a location to save to, so the action would always save to the same place. I need the ability to save the TIFF copies back into their original locations which are always changing.

That's the beauty of using PM for this. I have the option to save to the original folder or to a folder I choose each time, something I don't think is possible with an action/droplet. For these types of projects I made myself a simple "Save As" snapshot that creates TIFF copies and saves them to the original folder. It works beautifully, and only needs is the ability to leave the resolution unchanged.

For now I'll just have to save as TIFFs individually instead of batching them, but hopefully you will consider changing the "Save As" behaviour so that altering the resolution is optional.

Sure, we'll consider its implementation.

-Kirk