Author Topic: A few feature requests...  (Read 5311 times)

Offline josu

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
A few feature requests...
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
I am a serious PM fan and promoter. On a weekly basis, I use it to process or extract tens of thousands of images from RAW captures. Here are my biggest hopes for feature requests:

I use PM on a Macbook Pro 17 Quad 2.3 i7/ Dual SSDs, 10.6.7

1. Faster saving of resized embedded raw jpgs. I watch the activity monitor and I see lots of core usage during browsing, minimal multi-core usage during saving.
2. Please allow multitasking, especially during saving.
3. I often use two monitors, one in full screen, one viewing the grid view. It would be very helpful for all the key commands(especially refresh) to usable in the preview mode. If the grid view showed where you were at while viewing a full screen preview on another monitor, that would be very helpful.
4. More key commands, say one for extracting.
5. A full screen mode, like the slide show, only it would allow forward or backward movement through the images. No timed advance.  Allow stars and ratings to be changed in this mode, maybe visible in a corner.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: A few feature requests...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 11:42:26 AM »
I am a serious PM fan and promoter. On a weekly basis, I use it to process or extract tens of thousands of images from RAW captures. Here are my biggest hopes for feature requests:

I use PM on a Macbook Pro 17 Quad 2.3 i7/ Dual SSDs, 10.6.7

1. Faster saving of resized embedded raw jpgs. I watch the activity monitor and I see lots of core usage during browsing, minimal multi-core usage during saving.

That command is single-threaded.  It could be multithreaded, but then the limiting factor would be the write speed of your disk, which would be hit sooner than CPU capacity.

Quote from: josu
2. Please allow multitasking, especially during saving.

That would be useful once PM is a 64-bit app running on a 64-bit OS.  Until then multithreading things like Save As will have to wait because of very limited memory on 32-bit apps.  Image processing can take immense amounts of RAM and with the limitations of 32-bit apps the separate save threads would run out of memory.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
Hi,
I would also like to see a full screen mode, allowing forward or backward movement through the images and stars and ratings to be changed in this mode.
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 02:11:52 AM »
Hi,

+1 for the full screen mode, without any disturbing frame/toolbar ... just the picture.
Browsing with keys/mouse, star and color rating at the bottom (over the picture ?) and via keyboard

Also, when calling external application from Preview (CaptureNX2 for example) , why the Preview window has to be closed? It could be much convenient to keep it opened, for exemple to compare before/after while editing the picture (function which is missing in CaptureNX2)

Frederic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 06:30:20 AM »
Frederic,

+1 for the full screen mode, without any disturbing frame/toolbar ... just the picture.
Browsing with keys/mouse, star and color rating at the bottom (over the picture ?) and via keyboard

Also, when calling external application from Preview (CaptureNX2 for example) , why the Preview window has to be closed? It could be much convenient to keep it opened, for exemple to compare before/after while editing the picture (function which is missing in CaptureNX2)

The next major version of PM will make this a thing of the past.  The Preview window will no longer be modal and no longer needs to be closed.

Though if we ever did add an edit from the slideshow, it would have to terminate before the edit since it takes over the entire display and other apps can't be seen during the slideshow.

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
Kirk,
In this case you have mentioned (...the Preview window will no longer be modal and no longer needs to be closed), as soon as the image is edited, for example in DPP, will the preview window be automatically refreshed and show the updated image?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »
Luiz,

In this case you have mentioned (...the Preview window will no longer be modal and no longer needs to be closed), as soon as the image is edited, for example in DPP, will the preview window be automatically refreshed and show the updated image?

No, since DPP doesn't update the embedded JPEG preview.  It would be nice if they did that.  Nikon does it with their software and their NEF file format.  Canon should be able to do this as well.  Send them a feature request!

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »
Good idea!
I've just done that in Canon's support page.
Meanwhile I have to convert the file to jpeg every time I edit the raw in DPP...(so that I can see the changes in PM).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi