Author Topic: PhotoShelter upload not working  (Read 17907 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
PhotoShelter upload not working
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »
Since I upgraded to the latest release of PM I cannot upload photos to PhotoShelter. I did not change any of my settings but after a long attempt of connection PM tells in the lower part of the Upload window: Error: Hostname not known: ul.photoshelter.com

Did you change the function of the upload window, or is there some change in the PhotoShelter service?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PhotoShelter upload not working
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:31:49 AM »
Szurkebarat,

Since I upgraded to the latest release of PM I cannot upload photos to PhotoShelter. I did not change any of my settings but after a long attempt of connection PM tells in the lower part of the Upload window: Error: Hostname not known: ul.photoshelter.com

Did you change the function of the upload window, or is there some change in the PhotoShelter service?

No changes were made.  It is likely your ISP's DNS server is temporarily out of service and ul.photoshlelter.com cannot be resolved.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
Szurkebarat,

No changes were made.  It is likely your ISP's DNS server is temporarily out of service and ul.photoshlelter.com cannot be resolved.

-Kirk

I don't quite understand the problem, but it seems solved now.

I was abroad in a foreign country when I first discovered the error then it kept the same way when I returned home. After some time now it works fine. But it is still strange.

Thans for the answer anyway Kirk.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:03:12 PM »

-Kirk

I don't quite understand the problem, but it seems solved now.

I was abroad in a foreign country when I first discovered the error then it kept the same way when I returned home. After some time now it works fine. But it is still strange.

Photo Mechanic relies on a working DNS server to resolve things like ul.photoshelter.com to an IP address like 69.22.188.84 in order to communicate with it.  If your DNS server isn't working then PM can't resolve the symbolic name to the IP address and the upload (or even getting account information) fails.

When your DNS starts working again, the problem will go away.

-Kirk

Offline quarterback

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
Hi Kirk,
I had this problem last month and again today.When I use my MBP with OSX 10.4. it works fine but my MBP with 10.5.6 cannot upload to PS,I always get the error message:"url photoshelter does not exist",both computers are on the same network with airport express....
I`m a PS and PM user since 2006,never had these problems since last month,please help!
Best,dagmar

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:03:31 PM »
Dagmar,

I had this problem last month and again today.When I use my MBP with OSX 10.4. it works fine but my MBP with 10.5.6 cannot upload to PS,I always get the error message:"url photoshelter does not exist",both computers are on the same network with airport express....
I`m a PS and PM user since 2006,never had these problems since last month,please help!

Can you post a screen shot of the error message?  I'm not familiar with the error you listed.  Use the 'Additional Options...' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screen shot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline quarterback

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 07:50:46 AM »
Hi Kirk,

thanks for your response,
here`s the screenshot,it still does not work,I always get the same error message but I can send photos via ftp without any problems.

Best regards,dagmar

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline quarterback

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:04:23 AM »
UUps,here`s the screenshot with error message:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:11:01 AM »
UUps,here`s the screenshot with error message:

Please attach JPEGs next time instead of TIFFs.  JPEGs will show up on the page.  TIFFs have to be downloaded and then viewed in a separate application.

Could you open up a Terminal window (Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and enter the following at the prompt:

dig ul.photoshelter.com

and then copy and paste the output in your response to this message?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline quarterback

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »
Thanks Kirk,here`s the terminal`s message:

; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P3 <<>> ul.photoshelter.com
dig ul.photoshelter.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I`m also posting my logfiles of the system profiler:
June 14 18:09:54 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:09:54.520][2973630464] scan_for_templates: ignoring empty search path(s)
Jun 14 18:11:10 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:11:10.150][2973630464] PShelterAccountQueryWorker: exception #<SocketError: Hostname not known: ul.photoshelter.com>
Jun 14 18:11:38 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:11:38.387][2973630464] scan_for_templates: ignoring empty search path(s)
Jun 14 18:11:40 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:11:40.580][2973630464] scan_for_templates: ignoring empty search path(s)
Jun 14 18:12:54 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:12:54.143][2973630464] PShelterAccountQueryWorker: exception #<SocketError: Hostname not known: ul.photoshelter.com>

Hopeful to get the problem solved,dagmar

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
Dagmar,

Thanks Kirk,here`s the terminal`s message:

; <<>> DiG 9.4.3-P3 <<>> ul.photoshelter.com
dig ul.photoshelter.com
;; global options:  printcmd

I`m also posting my logfiles of the system profiler:
June 14 18:09:54 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:09:54.520][2973630464] scan_for_templates: ignoring empty search path(s)
Jun 14 18:11:10 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:11:10.150][2973630464] PShelterAccountQueryWorker: exception #<SocketError: Hostname not known: ul.photoshelter.com>
Jun 14 18:11:38 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:11:38.387][2973630464] scan_for_templates: ignoring empty search path(s)
Jun 14 18:11:40 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:11:40.580][2973630464] scan_for_templates: ignoring empty search path(s)
Jun 14 18:12:54 BLUELINER [0x0-0x4d04d].com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic[613]: [Tue Jun-14-2011 18:12:54.143][2973630464] PShelterAccountQueryWorker: exception #<SocketError: Hostname not known: ul.photoshelter.com>

It looks like a problem on your computer or your ISP.  I have no idea why one of your computers on the same local network can resolve ul.photoshelter.com but this one cannot.  Have you perhaps set up your networking preferences differently on the two systems.  I would open up the System Preferences on both computers and compare them side by side.

-Kirk

Offline quarterback

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 12:08:56 PM »
Hello Kirk,

I compared my computers and found a difference:a web proxy (HTTP) was activated.The computer is a used one,I made a new installation  and changed the disk.I will google for that proxy theme maybe it solves the problem.
Anyway I can`t understand why the PM uploader worked before and I didn`t make any (intentionally) changes.

Thanks for your support,

dagmar

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 01:45:06 PM »
Dagmar,

I compared my computers and found a difference:a web proxy (HTTP) was activated.The computer is a used one,I made a new installation  and changed the disk.I will google for that proxy theme maybe it solves the problem.
Anyway I can`t understand why the PM uploader worked before and I didn`t make any (intentionally) changes.

Well basically something changed in your computer's ability to resolve symbolic names like ul.photoshelter.com to an IP address.  Once that is resolved, I'm sure uploads to PhotoShelter will start working again.

-Kirk

Offline lgbillman

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 03:08:22 PM »
Kirk:  I've encountered the same problem since installing Lion on my Macbook Pro.  I get exactly the same message that Dagmar got.  I've made no changes other than installing Lion.  It worked perfectly before;  I can FTP and I can upload from Photoshelter's website - just can't send images the other way.  I'm a dummy as to proxies and DNS, so can't be of much help in that regard.  Any ideas?  It seems Dagmar's just sort of started working on its own - I haven't been that lucky.
thanks.
Leslie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
Leslie,

Kirk:  I've encountered the same problem since installing Lion on my Macbook Pro.  I get exactly the same message that Dagmar got.  I've made no changes other than installing Lion.  It worked perfectly before;  I can FTP and I can upload from Photoshelter's website - just can't send images the other way.  I'm a dummy as to proxies and DNS, so can't be of much help in that regard.  Any ideas?  It seems Dagmar's just sort of started working on its own - I haven't been that lucky.

If you follow the instructions in this posting:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6437.msg29697#msg29697

what results do you get?

-Kirk