Author Topic: adding extra titles/words to my structured keywords list  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
adding extra titles/words to my structured keywords list
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:44:09 AM »
Hi Kirk:

I have a pretty detailed structured keywords list.

I'm wishing to add a couple of extra headings in between keyword paths.

For example, I currently may have;  Australia, Brisbane, Ashgrove, Tolosa Street.

I want to add Queensland between Australia and Brisbane.  Then Street between Ashgrove and Tolosa.  In other words add another keyword theme/title.

I know it can be done.  Can you please explain the procedure?

I did search a tad, but couldn't really find an answer to my query.   Thanks,   WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: adding extra titles/words to my structured keywords list
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 06:34:16 AM »
Iain,

I have a pretty detailed structured keywords list.

I'm wishing to add a couple of extra headings in between keyword paths.

For example, I currently may have;  Australia, Brisbane, Ashgrove, Tolosa Street.

I want to add Queensland between Australia and Brisbane.  Then Street between Ashgrove and Tolosa.  In other words add another keyword theme/title.

I know it can be done.  Can you please explain the procedure?

I did search a tad, but couldn't really find an answer to my query.   Thanks,   WilloW

I'm having trouble understanding what your parent/child relationships are.

Basically the operations of adding/deleting/renaming are available by right-clicking in a column and choosing options from the contextual menu that appears.

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »
Hi Kirk - Sorry for the delay in responding.

Let me explain.  My heirarchy (one of many) is as follows:

Marine Life / Papua New Guinea / Bony Fishes / Fishes / Gobidae / Amblyeleodae /Amblyeleotris randalli / Randall's shrimp goby

I have synomyns for a a few of these titles such as Gobidae & the synomyn Goby.

I am wishing to add another title that falls between exisiitng titles.  For example:  Between Bony Fish & Fishes I want to add Underwater.  So it would read Bony Fish / Underwater / Fishes

I am having issues understanding how to add something hetween the seperators (/) without having to rewite everything again.

Thank you   ;D      WilloW

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:33:03 PM »
Iain,

Hi Kirk - Sorry for the delay in responding.

Let me explain.  My heirarchy (one of many) is as follows:

Marine Life / Papua New Guinea / Bony Fishes / Fishes / Gobidae / Amblyeleodae /Amblyeleotris randalli / Randall's shrimp goby

I have synomyns for a a few of these titles such as Gobidae & the synomyn Goby.

I am wishing to add another title that falls between exisiitng titles.  For example:  Between Bony Fish & Fishes I want to add Underwater.  So it would read Bony Fish / Underwater / Fishes

I am having issues understanding how to add something hetween the seperators (/) without having to rewite everything again.

That sort of thing is really easy with a text editor.  The Structured Keywords data is just a text file (UTF-8 encoded) and can be edited with any Unicode-savvy text editor.  Note: if you don't use accented characters (basically anything not in the 7-bit ASCII character set, then any text editor will work.

Use the 'Save' button in the Structured Keywords to save to a file of your choosing.  Edit the file (the structure is pretty obvious) and save it.  Back in the Structured Keywords panel, load your modified file.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Willow

• View Profile
    • Anaspides Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:53:29 PM »
I'll give it a whirl and see where it takes me.  Thanks Kirk,   WilloW

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
Just a word of caution: BACK UP your keyword file prior to change anything with an text editor. It's very easy to screw up your whole structure as it works with tabs and basically displays a LONG list of words on screen that just have different intentations ... sometimes not easy to see what word belongs to wich parent or child.

I really wished there would be a "Insert keyword hirachy level" (and "Remove keyword heirachy level") command in the structured keyword panel, moving all underlying keyword down or up a level automatically.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 10:19:21 PM by archer69 »