Author Topic: Sorting in Photo Mechanic as I would on a lightbox  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Ernies65

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Sorting in Photo Mechanic as I would on a lightbox
« on: June 20, 2011, 08:24:37 PM »
I am a beginner with Photo Mechanic and am evaluating it.  I am using Version 4.6.7 on Windows 7 Ultimate.  I normally use Nikon View NX2 and Nikon Capture NX2.  After taking a group of photos and transferring them to the computer, I like to move them around on the contact sheet as I would "real" slides on a light box.  Now, I do that by "renaming" the individual photos to get them in the place I wish in the "story" so the slide show will be logical.

I would like to be able to manually move the photos around until I get them in the order I wish and the use a batch process in the Nikon software to rename them all.

I thought perhaps Photo Mechanic would let me do this, but it doesn't seem to - it appears to offer this for collections, but this did not seem to be a solution.

Am I asking for something that does not exist in any software?

Thanks,

Ernie

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Sorting in Photo Mechanic as I would on a lightbox
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
Ernie,

I am a beginner with Photo Mechanic and am evaluating it.  I am using Version 4.6.7 on Windows 7 Ultimate.  I normally use Nikon View NX2 and Nikon Capture NX2.  After taking a group of photos and transferring them to the computer, I like to move them around on the contact sheet as I would "real" slides on a light box.  Now, I do that by "renaming" the individual photos to get them in the place I wish in the "story" so the slide show will be logical.

I would like to be able to manually move the photos around until I get them in the order I wish and the use a batch process in the Nikon software to rename them all.

I thought perhaps Photo Mechanic would let me do this, but it doesn't seem to - it appears to offer this for collections, but this did not seem to be a solution.

PM can definitely allow you to rearrange your photos in the contact sheet.  Under the sort popup menu in the toolbar is a sort called 'Arrangement'.  When selected your photos are listed in the order you've placed them in.  To move a photo around, first select it and release your mouse button.  Then click on the photo (hold down the mouse button) and drag it to the desired location.  An insertion point will appear as you drag your photo around.  If you release your mouse button then the image will move to the insertion point.  You can do this with single photos or groups of photos.

If you want to rename your photos with a numeric sequence so that other apps will list them in your preferred order you can do that with Photo Mechanic as well.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 01:59:44 PM »
Ernie,
It is also interesting to know that "Arrangements can even be made across multiple folders if the folders are open in the same contact sheet" (quoted from PM manual).
Regards,

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline mburke

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 02:51:08 PM »
That is really cool. I didn't know that.

Mike