Author Topic: side pane in preview mode isn't compact enough  (Read 4622 times)

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
side pane in preview mode isn't compact enough
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
I have to constantly shuffle things around to see the various things i need to see for images. It seems that some things could be compacted a bit such as the histogram being about a third of the size that it is and the crop and zoom sections making better use of their space.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: side pane in preview mode isn't compact enough
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:31:47 AM »
I have to constantly shuffle things around to see the various things i need to see for images. It seems that some things could be compacted a bit such as the histogram being about a third of the size that it is and the crop and zoom sections making better use of their space.

You can individually collapse them.

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:39:21 AM »
I realise this but I would benefit from being able to see them all in a more compact area.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:50:34 AM »
I realise this but I would benefit from being able to see them all in a more compact area.

The crop pane is going to be using a smaller area in the next version.
The histogram needs to be at least 256 pixels tall in order to show you all of the data.
The zoom controls could be slightly shorter vertically.
The Info Text height is adjustable by you.  Have you tried making it shorter?
Do you have the Preview window maximized?

That said, the next major version is going to have at least one more pane so unless you really shorten your Info Text you'll have to get a taller monitor if you want all of the panes to be visible.

-Kirk

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »
The histogram needs to be at least 256 pixels tall in order to show you all of the data.
Do we really see those pixels that well? what if it was at half resolution with a 1 value bumped up to a 2 so that it still shows?
The Info Text height is adjustable by you.  Have you tried making it shorter?
yes, but I do like to see a particular chunk of data without scrolling.
Do you have the Preview window maximized?
Yes, after a suggestion from you in a previous post to learn the keyboard shortcuts. Which I *eventually* did!
That said, the next major version is going to have at least one more pane so unless you really shorten your Info Text you'll have to get a taller monitor if you want all of the panes to be visible.
-Kirk
I access PM on a workstation where there's no issues but also on a laptop for ingesting where getting the gist of the histogram quickly is of great benefit. Maybe it could be possible to allow the user to change the order of the panes around? and font sizes?