Author Topic: Heads up canon tetherers  (Read 7355 times)

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
Heads up canon tetherers
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:56:13 AM »
I recently found this app http://www.dslrassistant.com/ and have to say it's quite impressive. I've been in contact with the dev and have been beta testing the next release. I'm just posting this because it's a very good fit with live ingest, and is very cheap for the functionality. It's also far more reliable than the two apps I currently use, Canon utilities and Capture One Pro. Worth keeping an eye out for the 1.5 release. (the current release, 1.4 isn't so good as it's file naming system names newly ingested files in sequence starting at 00001 and increases the count based on the highest number in it's ingest folder, so as PM performs a live ingest when a new file arrives, subsequent files are also named 00001 as well. BTW I don't have any interest in the software besides that it does a good job and would like to see it succeed - apparently it's a one man band operation)

Offline Junction10

• View Profile
    • Junction10 Photography
Re: Heads up canon tetherers
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:38:22 PM »
You might also want to try DSLR Remote by Breeze Systems..  I really missed it when I switched from Windows to Mac, but now there's a Mac version too : http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro4Mac/index.htm
iMac 27" 5K Retina 2017 -  4.2ghz 64gb RAM 1Tb HD, OSX Mojave
MacBook Pro 16" M1 Max 24 core GPU, 2Tb SSD, 64gb RAM

https://www.junction10.photography/

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:25:06 PM »
Had a look at DSLRRemotePro. It looks pretty clunky, like a java app, and misses some features that DSLR Assistant has. Again, I'm don't have an interest in this software but I'd recommend it. I've used it professionally for a few weeks now and it runs way way better than the tethering services in Capture One Pro or Canon Utilities. Hasn't crashed once. Not even the beta. I guess I have a soft spot for it as I asked the developer to introduce token based filenaming which he promptly did. I guess he's won me over a little cause of that, but the bottom line is that it just works. How many bits of software these days *just work*? I can only think of one. (guess)

Offline pwp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 01:57:38 AM »
A word on DSLR remote pro from BreezeSys, the Mac version is a very light version of the PC version. This was a major disappointment to me when I switched to a MacBook Pro. The PC version is absolutely brilliant. Sure, it may not have the sweetest look on the block, but boy does it function perfectly.

Thanks, I'll take a look at DSLR Assistant. In the meantime I'm clunking along with the good looking but very under-developed EOS Utility. Errgh!

Paul Wright

Offline avaviney

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:31:39 PM »
I already have this app and i love it!

Offline markfink67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mfpix.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »
I just downloaded the trial version of DSL Assistant.  It's pretty nice.  A one window solution compared to my Canon utilities and PhotoMechanic.  I don't seem to be able to change the mode of the camera remotely which seems odd.  We are talking tethered right!  Pretty good and with a few improvements it would do everything needed.  Thanks for the heads up on this.  For $40 is a great deal.
Virginia Photographer - Mark Finkenstaedt

Editorial, Corporate, Advertising