Author Topic: Problem Changing Star Ratings  (Read 5580 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Problem Changing Star Ratings
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:40:12 PM »
I am having a problem with changing star ratings in PM 4.6.7 in Win Vista 64.

If I have Capture 2 NX (2.2.7) open, I can't change the ratings of images in PM, whether or not the image was opened for editing in the CNX session. I can tag the photo, I can apply a color class, but if I change the star rate it shows for a few seconds then reverts to the prior rating. Once I close CNX2, all is well.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem Changing Star Ratings
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:18:05 PM »
Mick,

I am having a problem with changing star ratings in PM 4.6.7 in Win Vista 64.

If I have Capture 2 NX (2.2.7) open, I can't change the ratings of images in PM, whether or not the image was opened for editing in the CNX session. I can tag the photo, I can apply a color class, but if I change the star rate it shows for a few seconds then reverts to the prior rating. Once I close CNX2, all is well.

This is a long standing issue in Capture 2 NX.  It keeps files open for exclusive access.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:34:31 PM »
Kirk,

I was aware of that, but I am having trouble with re-rating files that I haven't even opened in CNX.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:57:38 PM »
Mick,

But you said:

Once I close CNX2, all is well.

So, I'm confused.  What does it take to reproduce this problem?

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:08:12 AM »
Open a folder of images in PM.
Select an image in PM and open it for editing in CNX2
Edit and save the image from CNX, close the image but leave CNX2 open.
Attempt to change the rating of any file in the folder in PM.

When I do the last step by clicking on a star, the rating changes briefly, then reverts to the former rating. Using the menu or shortcut key to change the rating has no effect.

If I repeatedly click on the star, the rating will eventually change, even for the image that was just edited. The number of clicks required is not constant, but I have counted from 3 to 10.

Closing CNX2 makes this all go away.

(I would not be surprised if this is unrepeatable. It may be just a quirk on my system.)

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:28:34 AM »
Mick,

Open a folder of images in PM.
Select an image in PM and open it for editing in CNX2
Edit and save the image from CNX, close the image but leave CNX2 open.
Attempt to change the rating of any file in the folder in PM.

When I do the last step by clicking on a star, the rating changes briefly, then reverts to the former rating. Using the menu or shortcut key to change the rating has no effect.

If I repeatedly click on the star, the rating will eventually change, even for the image that was just edited. The number of clicks required is not constant, but I have counted from 3 to 10.

Closing CNX2 makes this all go away.

(I would not be surprised if this is unrepeatable. It may be just a quirk on my system.)

It should be.  This is the problem in Capture NX2 that I described.  It leaves files open for exclusive access even after you have closed them from within the application.  I think it affects all files in the directory.  We mentioned the situation to them several years ago and they still haven't fixed it.  The most we could do is popup an error message each time you attempt to update a file that cannot be updated.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
So CNX2 locks the whole directory (folder), even files that have never been opened in CNX? Sound like something Microsoft would do in the name of "security". ;)

Well, as least applications aren't crashing. I can work around it.

Thanks, Kirk.

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:03:45 AM »
Mick,

So CNX2 locks the whole directory (folder), even files that have never been opened in CNX? Sound like something Microsoft would do in the name of "security". ;)

Yes.  The procedure is to set Capture NX2 onto a different folder while you edit items in other applications.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 02:17:25 AM »
Mick,

Interestingly enough this problem does not occur on the mac (for which I'm thankful since switching three years ago…)

I sure hope this behaviour will get fixed in the next version of NX though.

Cheers,
 Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 06:48:13 AM »
Hayo,

Interestingly enough this problem does not occur on the mac (for which I'm thankful since switching three years ago…)

The Mac OS X (based on Unix) does not have the feature that Capture NX2 uses on Windows.  So it's not possible for this issue to exist on the Mac version.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 10:06:07 PM »
Kirk,

I was aware of that, but I am having trouble with re-rating files that I haven't even opened in CNX.

Mick

Mike, I mentioned that before:

To work around that without closing NX2 is to point the NX2 file browser to another folder (I usually point it to the desktop). That way all folders containing image files are "unlocked" by NX2 and can be accessed by Photomechanic.

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »
I had EXACTLY the same problem, with all of the same symptoms, that Mick described.  I was very frustrated.  It does seem that the solution is to point the NX2 browser to some other directory.  This allows me to add/change/remove PM star ratings to the image on which I was working in NX2 as well as to all other images in the same directory.  I tried this for the first time today and it seems to work.  Keeping my fingers crossed...