Author Topic: Default Saveas Folder Tweak Request  (Read 2306 times)

Offline NeilR

• View Profile
Default Saveas Folder Tweak Request
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:47:26 PM »
This actually goes back to a thread we had in 2007: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2207.0

In that thread we talked about where is the best location to start an Explorer folder picker when various save and saveas dialogs are inititated.  Shortly thereafter the latest SaveAs dialog was included in an update.  That new saveas dialog took care of a lot of issues except one, which happens to be very important to me.

In the case where the "Save To This Folder" radio button is selected and the browse button clicked to pop up an Explorer dialog, the explorer dialog tries to default it's starting location to the remembered last saveas folder.  However, in the event that that folder no longer exists the explorer dialog defaults to "My Computer", which is the last place I would want it to default because it forces me to walk down what is always a deeply nested tree.

In the event that the last "Save To This Folder" location no longer exists, I would like the explorer dialog to default to the image's folder if the Saveas is initiated from the preview window, or the currently open folder (or parent in the case parent and children were opened in the contact sheet for example) if the saveas was initiated from a contact sheet.

The same logic should be incorporated in the copy, extract, export, etc.  It should be standard handling (for consistency) for any folder picker dialog.

This may sound like an obscure request, or almost an error handling situation but at least for me, my workflow typically involves working a day's images, ending with a series of Saveas... and copy  operations, then that day's folders are relocated to another drive or a "ready to move to server" folder and then I start the next day's work.  I tend to get behind in my post processing so going through this cycle of multiple days is more common than not.  This situation was actually discussed (maybe somewhat indirectly) in the 2007 thread but never actually put in the code despite some assurances that it was.

This pertains to Windows OS although I would think something comparable would be helpful in Mac - but I do not use one of those critters.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Default Saveas Folder Tweak Request
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 11:24:38 PM »
In the event that the last "Save To This Folder" location no longer exists, I would like the explorer dialog to default to the image's folder if the Saveas is initiated from the preview window, or the currently open folder (or parent in the case parent and children were opened in the contact sheet for example) if the saveas was initiated from a contact sheet.

I can see this would definitely be helpful behaviour in many cases.

This pertains to Windows OS although I would think something comparable would be helpful in Mac - but I do not use one of those critters.

Given that on the Mac, each folder/file finder dialogue has a "recent places" list it is indeed much less of an issue there (though your suggestion could still be useful there too I guess).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl