Author Topic: What is your workflow with PM?  (Read 5675 times)

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
What is your workflow with PM?
« on: July 19, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Hi,
I would like to ask fellow members of this forum what their workflow is with PM.
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 11:16:44 AM by Luiz Muzzi »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: What is your workflow with PM?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
Hi Luiz,

From our other discussion, I'll kick off with mine:

The way I work is quite simple:

• Shoot RAW with the Camera set to a standard profile with a bit of extra saturation and sharpening quite high. This I do to be able to judge on-the-camera whether or not my images are Ok (and sharp)
  • PM to ingest my images (to two different locations, files get renamed and get a base set of IPTC copyright info)
  • PM to cull the images
  • Batch run a base set of image settings on the raw files in Capture NX, based on the content of the images (e.g. Landscape, Wildlife) — This step would be similar if you used e.g. Lightroom or ACR)
  • Refine selection and determine selected, alternative, and trash images, add ratings for selected images
  • Fine tune individual images in Capture NX and/or other software (PhotoMatix Pro, Photoshop, etc.)
  • Repeat until happy with final selection

My selection/culling works as follows: trash pictures or real duplicates get tagged (these get really deleted afterwards), selected images and alternatives get temporarily colour coded. The definitely selected ones get a star rating. This is refined until I have the final selection. I then delete the tagged files and remove the temporary colour coding. The images with a rating are my "selected" images, the ones without a rating are alternatives which I store in a separate location.
Selected images then get a colour label based on their "function": 1=Portfolio, 2=Portfolio Series, 5=Input file (e.g. further edited in Photoshop or used as part of an HDR or Panorama). Note the images labelled as Input file are hidden by default in PM so I only see the result images (as I use Capture NX, my NEFs already show the edit result so I don't need to create a tiff for those).

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
Note the images labelled as Input file are hidden by default in PM so I only see the result images (as I use Capture NX, my NEFs already show the edit result so I don't need to create a tiff for those).

Hayo,
What do you mean by your last sentence quoted above?
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43:45 AM »
I mean that I have set PM not to show me the images with label 5 (input image in my case). For this I deselected the label on the bottom right of the contact sheet window and made this the default.

Hope this explains things better.

Hayo

P.S. This makes loading folders a bit slower!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:19:24 PM »
Thanks for your explanation (Sorry for the delay in the answer, I was on vacation.)
rds,

-Luiz Muzzi