Author Topic: Star Ratings Disappear After Highlighting Different Image  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Jimbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Star Ratings Disappear After Highlighting Different Image
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:12:03 PM »
Using Photo Mechanic 3.6.7 on Mac Snow Leopard OS 10.6.8 on an Intel-based Mac.  New user, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

In all my folders but one, when I assign a star or a color rating to an image those ratings “stick” properly.

But in one folder (only one that I have found so far) any star rating assigned to an image immediately disappears once I highlight a different image, and I can’t get color ratings to be assigned to those images at all.

What do I need to change that one folder or the images in that one folder so that the star and color ratings operate properly for those images?

Thanks!

Jim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Star Ratings Disappear After Highlighting Different Image
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:18:44 PM »
Jim,

Using Photo Mechanic 3.6.7 on Mac Snow Leopard OS 10.6.8 on an Intel-based Mac.  New user, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question.

In all my folders but one, when I assign a star or a color rating to an image those ratings “stick” properly.

But in one folder (only one that I have found so far) any star rating assigned to an image immediately disappears once I highlight a different image, and I can’t get color ratings to be assigned to those images at all.

What do I need to change that one folder or the images in that one folder so that the star and color ratings operate properly for those images?

I don't have enough information to provide an informed answer.

What is different about the folder that doesn't work?  Permissions differences?
Are the image types the same in both cases?
Have the images been through the same workflow in both cases?
If you move one of the images that doesn't keep its ratings to a different folder, does it work correctly then?

-Kirk

Offline Jimbo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Star Ratings Disappear After Highlighting Different Image
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
Kirk:  Thanks for the questions/suggestions. The problem WAS with the folder Permissions.  I could not figure out how to fix the folder Permissions (even after following the Mac OS X 10.6 Help document on "Setting Permissions") - so I just copied all the images to a new folder with proper Permissions.

I have no idea how the Permissions got set incorrectly on that folder.

Regards,

Jim

PS: Answers to your specific questions are below in red.

Jim,

I don't have enough information to provide an informed answer.

What is different about the folder that doesn't work?  Permissions differences?  Yes, Permissions was the problem.  I could not figure out how to change the preferences, so I copied the images to a new folder with appropriate permissions.

Are the image types the same in both cases? Yes - all are Canon CR2 RAW

Have the images been through the same workflow in both cases? Yes, all through same workflow.

If you move one of the images that doesn't keep its ratings to a different folder, does it work correctly then? Yes, it then does keep its rating. Makes sense - given the folder Permissions problem.

-Kirk