Author Topic: Ingest - change behavior  (Read 3855 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Ingest - change behavior
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »
I had recently an accident with ingesting only protected photos from a card but leaving the auto delete option checked so PM deleted all the other files on the card.
I think for safety reasons it would be really good to reset the delete option after one changes the method of download or at least have the delte warning pop up to notify.

Most preferably I would like to have an option to download protected photos first but then after all of them are downloaded download the rest of the photos too - what I wanted to do manually but having them deleted I could not do that.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
Re: Ingest - change behavior
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
One more vote for the resetting of the auto delete option after ingesting.
BR

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:44:53 PM »
Makes sense to me, too.

Were you able to recover the images with one of the apps designed to to so?

Mick

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:47:40 AM »
One more vote for the resetting of the auto delete option after ingesting.
BR

-Luiz Muzzi

My feature request aims not to reset auto delete after ingest. I like it doing that way. I allways use auto delete WHEN I download all the photos from the card and not only the locked or unlocked ones.

My request is to reset the auto delete or at least display the warning when I change WHAT to download before the autodelete.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:35:41 PM »
To all who use this delete functionality: it is much better to not do this at all, but to format the card in the camera instead. This way the filesystem is really clean before you start shooting again. This also helps recovery software to recover your photos more easily.

While we're on the delete topic: also don't delete files in-camera (and if you do, only delete the last ones). Again for the reason of improving your chances with recovery software.

Final note: if you accidentally format a card, don't worry: recovery software is likely to restore your images easily (as long as you've taken the above to heart).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Another reason NOT to use the "Auto Delete" after ingest just happened to me last weekend:

2 NEF files out of about 600 got corrupted during ingest on both the main and secondary location on the PC (was visible on the tumbs in PM). Neither version would open in any software (Capture NX2, View NX2, PS CS5, PSE 7, Phase One). Luckely the files were still on the card and not corrupted, so I manually copied them once more. They work fine now.

This happened only twice now in the 4 years I use PM, but when it happens it's a pain in the butt ... and you are glad you still have it on the card.