Author Topic: Added functionality for "Extract JPEG Preview from RAW"  (Read 9867 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Added functionality for "Extract JPEG Preview from RAW"
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »
Kirk,

The extract function is nice and works well, but it would be great to have the functionality of the "Save As" dialog at the same time. Would prevent to go through 2 individual process steps and unessesarily create copies that need to be deleted later anyway.

Juerg

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
Re: Added functionality for "Extract JPEG Preview from RAW"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:37:58 AM »
a good idea.

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:04:18 AM »
I would think the Save As function starts with the embedded jpeg so you may have this already.

Deven

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 08:41:53 AM »
In the Save As dialog there is already the option, for RAW files, to either use the embedded preview or render the RAW itself.  This is on a Mac, Windows might be different with rendering RAW or not.

Offline cas5

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
When I'm running out of space on a drive, I'll save RAW files to JPG for less important directories.  It would really be helpful in the extract or save as dialog to optionally delete the RAW file after the extract/save. 

As a further aide to space saving, delete the RAW file immediately after the JPG extraction rather waiting until all of the JPGs have been extracted. 

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »
When I'm running out of space on a drive, I'll save RAW files to JPG for less important directories.  It would really be helpful in the extract or save as dialog to optionally delete the RAW file after the extract/save. 

As a further aide to space saving, delete the RAW file immediately after the JPG extraction rather waiting until all of the JPGs have been extracted. 

I would advice against deleting the RAW file; it is like throwing away your negative and keeping the print…
Storage is so cheap these days, (lack of) storage should never be a reason to do something.

Just my opinion though  ;)

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »
I partially aggree Hayo. Storage is relatively cheap and usually it is not worth to delete useful photos.
I usually convert to JPG and delete the originals only for those phtos that I would delete anyway. It have been helpful to have an almost deleted frame.

I often export JPGs and delete the RAW that I have backed up elsewhere. It is an easy method for me to caption and color mark the JPGs then update them to the RAWs. But for long term I never delete RAW files just to keep JPGs.

But rather keep the originals. Thus it is a very bad idea to automate any sort of delete after any operation, especially after a normal Save As.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline cas5

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 04:37:03 PM »
Well, my opinion is that you give the power to the user.  It's up to them how to use it.  Obviously, this wouldn't be the default action.  A shoot for one of my clients three years ago currently takes up 1/2 a terabyte.  My obligation to store the images ended a year ago, so, it's time to recycle that space.   Rather than just deleting all of the RAW files, it might be prudent for me to hold onto the JPGs for another year or two before deleting them too.  I had the same situation with a 100 gig of family snapshots.  They're snapshots.  I don't need to keep the RAW files around.  Anyway, a simple checkbox would be all that's necessary to save a few steps.

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »
In the Save As dialog there is already the option, for RAW files, to either use the embedded preview or render the RAW itself.  This is on a Mac, Windows might be different with rendering RAW or not.

Oh my god, you are right. Works on Windows too. I never even thought about using the save as comand on a NEF. The option is by default set to "use embedded preview" and greyed out, as Win does not have a way to render RAW files. But it works fine with the embedded preview.
Guess there are so many more functions that I am not even aware of...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:36:28 AM by archer69 »