Author Topic: Select multiple folders and open in single contact sheet  (Read 17747 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Select multiple folders and open in single contact sheet
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:41:18 PM »
Is it possible to have in the navigator multiple folders selected and then open these selected folders into a single contact sheet?

Thanks,
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Select multiple folders and open in single contact sheet
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:18:48 AM »
Juerg,

Is it possible to have in the navigator multiple folders selected and then open these selected folders into a single contact sheet?

No, multiple folders cannot be selected at once.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:54:35 PM »
Its somewhat of a kludge but you can do it.  :)

Simply put the folders you want to open in a single contact sheet in an empty temporary folder.  Then select the temp folder, right click and choose: Open Folder and Subfolders in a New Contact Sheet.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 01:52:06 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Is it possible to add that functionality?

@ Bill Wood,

Thanks Bill. But it's not really a convenient solution to copy sometimes 10-20 GB of data (or sometimes even more) around just to be able to open it in a single contact sheet. Then it's faster to do what I did up to now: open the first folder in a contact sheet and then select and open all consecutive ones one by one in that current contact sheet.

Thanks
Juerg

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 01:56:36 AM »
Then it's faster to do what I did up to now: open the first folder in a contact sheet and then select and open all consecutive ones one by one in that current contact sheet.

And, if you expect to want reopen this set op folders again, save the combination as a favourite. Next time the whole set is just one click away  :D
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:20:16 AM »
Juerg,
You are right, moving folders into a group is a pain.  I often open multiple folders in one contact sheet one at a time as you described.  But then there is no indication reminding me what folders are in the group.  I like Hayo's idea.  Never noticed that Remember Folders as a Favorite feature before on the File menu.  I could name the Favorite with some indication about the folders that are included.

Best solution would be adding your feature request, if possible, so we can select multiple folders and then open them in a single sheet, hopefully with the various folders marked/highlighted in the folder list so we know what folders are included in the sheet.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 06:42:04 AM »
Juerg,

Is it possible to add that functionality?

I don't know.  I'd have to research it and I can't spare the time right now.

Maybe when we get this new Mac OS X 10.7 compatible release done I can look into it for you.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 07:07:49 AM »
I don't know.  I'd have to research it and I can't spare the time right now.

Maybe when we get this new Mac OS X 10.7 compatible release done I can look into it for you.

That would be great and highly appreciated :-)

Juerg

Offline adrianlambert

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 05:37:10 AM »
What about opening folder1 then option double clicking on folder2. You get a little "+" in the folder icon in the tab that shows there are multiple folders open in the one sheet. Not easy to see exactly what folders are open but I do this in conjunction with colour labels to create something akin to an Adobe Bridge collection (albeit temporary) from multiple shoot sessions.

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »
apl,

Thanks - that is a great tip.  Wish I knew that a long time ago.

I use Win7.  If I open the first folder then shift+click the second folder, third folder, etc all the new folders open in the same contact sheet without right clicking and choosing off the pop up menu.  I don't get a little "+" in the folder icon in the tab at the top of the contact sheet (I assume that is a Mac thing) and there is no way to tell what folders are included in the single contact sheet but your method is way faster and easier than the way I was doing it.

I am going to try your color lable idea too.

Thanks

Bill Wood

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 12:50:14 AM »
apl,

Thanks for the Shift + Click tip ... faster than the pop-up menue.

Unfortunately, on my WinXP system no "+" is displayed for the folders that are open. Guess its a Mac only thing.

Juerg

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 12:53:04 AM »
Then it's faster to do what I did up to now: open the first folder in a contact sheet and then select and open all consecutive ones one by one in that current contact sheet.

And, if you expect to want reopen this set op folders again, save the combination as a favourite. Next time the whole set is just one click away  :D

Hayo,

How do I save a contact sheet containing pics of multiple folders as a "Favourite"?????

Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:30:15 AM »
Juerg,

How do I save a contact sheet containing pics of multiple folders as a "Favourite"?????

On the "File" menu, there is a command that does this "Remember Folders as a Favorite..."

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 06:54:38 AM »
Kirk,

On the "File" menu, there is a command that does this "Remember Folders as a Favorite..."

Thanks. That's great. Never knew what it was for, as it only sais "Remember Folder..." ... (and my fault I never looked it up in the manual).

And one can even rename it  ;D.

But another question: can in adition to the folder name a field be created that contains a "description" where I can for example list all folders that are included? And that this discription field is displayed in a pop-up when hovering over the "Favorite" folder?

Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 08:22:56 AM »
Juerg,

Thanks. That's great. Never knew what it was for, as it only sais "Remember Folder..." ... (and my fault I never looked it up in the manual).

And one can even rename it  ;D.

But another question: can in adition to the folder name a field be created that contains a "description" where I can for example list all folders that are included? And that this discription field is displayed in a pop-up when hovering over the "Favorite" folder?

No, it can't.

-Kirk