Author Topic: Amend Caption at the beginning on multiple files  (Read 4101 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Amend Caption at the beginning on multiple files
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I have multiple files, each with different captions. Now I need to ammend each caption at the beginning with additional text, leaving the already existing caption untouched. How can I do that in a batch process?

Regards,
Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Amend Caption at the beginning on multiple files
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:21:58 AM »
Juerg,

I have multiple files, each with different captions. Now I need to ammend each caption at the beginning with additional text, leaving the already existing caption untouched. How can I do that in a batch process?

There is no way to prepend text to the Caption field in a single step.  You could try doing it in three passes by putting the {caption} into a different field, and then apply another IPTC Stationery Pad by putting your new text in the Caption field and then following it with the variable for the field you applied your previous {caption}.  Lastly, clear out the field that you applied your previous {caption} into.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 07:26:30 AM »
There is no way to prepend text to the Caption field in a single step

Such a facility would be very useful, just fyi. I often have the need to batch-prepend text to the beginning of captions and also in the special instructions field.

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:05:16 AM »
Hi Kirk,
There is no way to prepend text to the Caption field in a single step.  You could try doing it in three passes by putting the {caption} into a different field, and then apply another IPTC Stationery Pad by putting your new text in the Caption field and then following it with the variable for the field you applied your previous {caption}.  Lastly, clear out the field that you applied your previous {caption} into.

Yea, that's the way I figured it out myself as well ... but it's a pain in the but ... especially if you make a mistake and deselect the files in between one of the steps by mistake.

I tried to enter the "prepend text" followed by the {caption} variable into the caption field, hoping it will add the new text and copy the existing caption in one step. It does it and more: it adds the new text to the existing caption and THEN copies the new prepended caption AGAIN ... in essence dublication everything  :'( Not what I wanted.

Is there a way to add such functionality, at least to some to the major text fields?

Juerg

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:43:40 AM »
Juerg,

Yea, that's the way I figured it out myself as well ... but it's a pain in the but ... especially if you make a mistake and deselect the files in between one of the steps by mistake.

I tried to enter the "prepend text" followed by the {caption} variable into the caption field, hoping it will add the new text and copy the existing caption in one step. It does it and more: it adds the new text to the existing caption and THEN copies the new prepended caption AGAIN ... in essence dublication everything  :'( Not what I wanted.

Is there a way to add such functionality, at least to some to the major text fields?

Yes, and I have plans to do so in the next major version of PM.  Maybe not in the initial release however.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:06:20 AM »
Kirk,
Yes, and I have plans to do so in the next major version of PM.  Maybe not in the initial release however.

Cool. Looking forward to it. For sure will be a reason to finally upgrade from my current version 4.5.4 :-)

Juerg