Author Topic: Updating xmp sidecar file whitout updating raw (pef) file  (Read 1703 times)

Offline hugop92

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Updating xmp sidecar file whitout updating raw (pef) file
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »
Hi,

I’m using Photo Mechanic 4.6.7 under Windows Vista.

I would like to update the xmp sidecar file that comes with the raw (Pentax pef) file, without making any change to the raw file itself.

The xmp update is necessary to allow Camera Raw to produce jpegs with the up to date meta data. Not touching the raw file is a security requirement (I don’t know if all software will be able to read the raw file updated with metadata).

But, with the "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preference updates" preference unchecked, the raw files are updated.

How to prevent this ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Updating xmp sidecar file whitout updating raw (pef) file
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »
I’m using Photo Mechanic 4.6.7 under Windows Vista.

I would like to update the xmp sidecar file that comes with the raw (Pentax pef) file, without making any change to the raw file itself.

The xmp update is necessary to allow Camera Raw to produce jpegs with the up to date meta data. Not touching the raw file is a security requirement (I don’t know if all software will be able to read the raw file updated with metadata).

But, with the "Allow RAW files (non DNG) to be modified for metadata and image preference updates" preference unchecked, the raw files are updated.

How to prevent this ?

Sounds like a bug to me.  We'll look into it and fix it for the next update.

-Kirk