Author Topic: Workflow annoyance  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Workflow annoyance
« on: August 07, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »
When dragging NEF files from PM 4.6.7 directly into PTGUI for quick edits I get an unknown file type warning. Seems only the XMP sidecar file is going over. Can't seem to find how to overcome this problem in preferences. Is there a way around this?

I'm using an iMac with OSX 10.6.8

Gary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Workflow annoyance
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »
Gary,

When dragging NEF files from PM 4.6.7 directly into PTGUI for quick edits I get an unknown file type warning. Seems only the XMP sidecar file is going over. Can't seem to find how to overcome this problem in preferences. Is there a way around this?

It is unlikely that only the XMP sidecar file is being dragged.  It is more likely that the PTGUI application is receiving both files but is complaining about the XMP sidecar file.  Instead of using drag and drop for editing which is clumsy anyway, why not set PTGUI as one of your editors, either specifically as your NEF editor, or at least as one of your Custom Editors?

See page 146 of the manual, the section titled 'Assign Specific Application to File Type'.  Once setup, you can right-click on a photo and choose the editor you want to send only the image to.

Drag and drop must provide all of the files associated with an image or otherwise applications like the Finder would not copy all of the files that go with an image.

-Kirk

Offline Molls-Phot

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Workflow annoyance
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:14:25 AM »
Kirk,

Thanks not only for the speedy response but a solution too. That's just the job!

Gary