Author Topic: Black background with 4.6.8 beta 1  (Read 11366 times)

Offline jose

• View Profile
Black background with 4.6.8 beta 1
« on: August 08, 2011, 05:41:41 AM »
an issue with the 4.6.8.beta1.

Mac OS X Lion (in spanish), repeated with two computer:

- MacPro 2x2,8 QuadCore Xeon 14GB and
- iMac 2,66 Core 2 Duo 4GB.

After working a time, slideshow, etc and FTP some images, the background changes to black.

My Contactsheet colors preferences are changed to black

I can fix it in Preferences->Contact Sheet->Colors, but the left column (Favorites, Navigator) is always in black.

thanks,
jose.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Black background with 4.6.8 beta 1
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:33:25 AM »
Jose,

an issue with the 4.6.8.beta1.

Mac OS X Lion (in spanish), repeated with two computer:

- MacPro 2x2,8 QuadCore Xeon 14GB and
- iMac 2,66 Core 2 Duo 4GB.

After working a time, slideshow, etc and FTP some images, the background changes to black.

My Contactsheet colors preferences are changed to black

I can fix it in Preferences->Contact Sheet->Colors, but the left column (Favorites, Navigator) is always in black.

That's very unusual.  I've never seen that before.

It would be very helpful to know exactly how to reproduce this issue.  Does this happen frequently?  If so, please make note of the last few things you did in PM before the colors changed spontaneously.  Then try and repeat them to see if you then reproduce the issue.

To change the colors of the Favorites and Navigator, right-click on any item in either the Favorites or Navigator and choose Preferences... from the contextual menu.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:32 AM »
Thanks, reseted de Colors backgrounds.

I've only had once incident, but in the two computers, soon after installing the beta version.

I will comment you if I see this issue again.

un saludo
jose.

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:20:47 AM »
Another black background issue.

MacPro 2x2,8 QuadCore Xeon 14GB, OS X Lion, with Photoshop and Phocus (Hasselblad) opened.

30 minutes working with Photo Mechanic: select and delete images, slideshow, preview, etc... without problem -> I quit (cmd+q) Photo Mechanic -> reopen it, and all the preferences->contact sheets -> colors are black.

jose.

my caching preferences:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 08:30:20 AM »
Jose,

Another black background issue.

MacPro 2x2,8 QuadCore Xeon 14GB, OS X Lion, with Photoshop and Phocus (Hasselblad) opened.

30 minutes working with Photo Mechanic: select and delete images, slideshow, preview, etc... without problem -> I quit (cmd+q) Photo Mechanic -> reopen it, and all the preferences->contact sheets -> colors are black.

I think there may be something wrong with your Preferences file(s) on your system(s).  I'm going to have one of our support guys contact you for further information.

-Kirk

Offline matins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »
same happened to me
macbook pro 15" 2.2 2011
8gb ram

Offline matins

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 10:42:13 PM »
and after the 4.68 beta gone dark it affects pm 4.6.7 as well.
only solution i found is to completely uninstall pm and reinstall it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 10:49:16 PM »
and after the 4.68 beta gone dark it affects pm 4.6.7 as well.
only solution i found is to completely uninstall pm and reinstall it.

What procedure did you follow to uninstall PM and reinstall it?  There is no installer or uninstaller.  You just copy the application from the disk image to any folder on your system.  To remove it, you just put the application in the Trash.  What all did you do?

Rather than stop using the 4.6.8 beta, I'd much rather know what it takes to reproduce the problem.  Please let us know how to reproduce the issue.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:48:26 AM »
Hello Kirk,

uninstalled completely Photo Mechanic 4.6.8 beta 1 with attachments (plist, cache...) as suggested.

Reinstalled and working without problem (ingest, view and select Raw, edit with photoshop, add metadata, send FTP...), if I not play the slideshow. All OK. Quit and reopen PM without problem.

If I play the slideshow all goes well, but when I quit Photo Mechanic ​​and reopen it, reappears the black background.

Thanks,
jose.

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:01:07 AM »
Reinstalled and working without problem (ingest, view and select Raw, edit with photoshop, add metadata, send FTP...), if I not play the slideshow. All OK. Quit and reopen PM without problem.

If I play the slideshow all goes well, but when I quit Photo Mechanic ​​and reopen it, reappears the black background.

mmm... well, not only the black is after playing the slideshow... reviewing *.CR2 files n preview mode, suddenly the background is black.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:29 AM »
Jose,

mmm... well, not only the black is after playing the slideshow... reviewing *.CR2 files n preview mode, suddenly the background is black.

What background is black?  The photo itself, or the Preview window background?

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »
I was able to reproduce this bug: played a slideshow and then directly quit PM by "Command q", the slideshow images were still selected. Then after the next start of PM the background was black (navigation pane and preview pane). In the preference pane it was not possible to change the color of the navigation pane. How about adding a button "set colors back to default"?

System: Macbook Air i5 with 4GB RAM, OSX Lion, PM 4.6.8 beta 1

Edit: I just noticed that my parallel install of PM 4.6.7 now also has black everywhere. Which is the easiest to reset this to the previous setting or at least default? A quick solution would be greatly appreciated as I have to use PM for a job on the upcoming weekend.

Thanks,
HM
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:10:06 AM by heavymeister »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 05:57:26 AM »
I was able to reproduce this bug: played a slideshow and then directly quit PM by "Command q", the slideshow images were still selected. Then after the next start of PM the background was black (navigation pane and preview pane). In the preference pane it was not possible to change the color of the navigation pane. How about adding a button "set colors back to default"?

We'd rather just fix the bug.  We haven't been able to reproduce it yet, but I'm sure we'll solve it.  When you directly quit PM, was the slideshow still running at the time?

Quote from: heavymeister

Edit: I just noticed that my parallel install of PM 4.6.7 now also has black everywhere. Which is the easiest to reset this to the previous setting or at least default? A quick solution would be greatly appreciated as I have to use PM for a job on the upcoming weekend.

Deleting your preferences file would do it but you'd lose a lot of other things like keywords.  You could do a Preferences Export and then deselect 'Preferences:Contact Sheet' and then Export the rest to a file.  Then you could quit PM, delete the prefs file.  Launch PM and all defaults would be restored.  Next, Import your Exported preferences and you should be back in business.

The prefs file is in this location:

<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 08:25:46 AM »

We'd rather just fix the bug.  We haven't been able to reproduce it yet, but I'm sure we'll solve it.  When you directly quit PM, was the slideshow still running at the time?

Quote from: heavymeister

Deleting your preferences file would do it but you'd lose a lot of other things like keywords.  You could do a Preferences Export and then deselect 'Preferences:Contact Sheet' and then Export the rest to a file.  Then you could quit PM, delete the prefs file.  Launch PM and all defaults would be restored.  Next, Import your Exported preferences and you should be back in business.

The prefs file is in this location:

<your home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefs

HTH,

-Kirk

Hell Kirk,

the slideshow was finished. The files for the slideshow were still selected though when I quit PM.
Thanks for the workaround. I will try it later today.

Cheers,
HM

Offline jose

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
Jose,

What background is black?  The photo itself, or the Preview window background?

-Kirk

All the backgrounds: Navigator and favorites, sheet color, label color, color-class background, and the contact sheet background.

Thanks,
jose.