Author Topic: "Save As" does not work to USB Flash Drive  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
"Save As" does not work to USB Flash Drive
« on: August 13, 2011, 02:57:28 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Updated to PM4.6.7 on my WinXP system.

Now the "Save As" does not work any longer. I select a file (TIFF in my case) and want to save as a new TIFF (with changed name), the process starts and just hangs there with PM becomming unresponsive and the "Abort" button doing nothing. Only solution is to force PM close and restart.

Update:
Forgot to mention I was trying to save onto a USB Flash Drive.

Update 2:
Funny enough, when I checked the USB Flash Drive, the file was actually saved there as intended, even PM was hanging unresponsive in the middle of the "Save As" process. BUT the file is corrupted as when I try to open it in CS5 an "End of Line Error" comes up.

Using the "Save As" (the same file and settings) to a internal HD instead of the USB Flash Drive, everything works normal. No hanging or anything. File opens fine in CS5.

Juerg
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:22:19 AM by archer69 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Save As" does not work to USB Flash Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 06:58:30 AM »
Juerg,

Updated to PM4.6.7 on my WinXP system.

Now the "Save As" does not work any longer. I select a file (TIFF in my case) and want to save as a new TIFF (with changed name), the process starts and just hangs there with PM becomming unresponsive and the "Abort" button doing nothing. Only solution is to force PM close and restart.

Update:
Forgot to mention I was trying to save onto a USB Flash Drive.

Update 2:
Funny enough, when I checked the USB Flash Drive, the file was actually saved there as intended, even PM was hanging unresponsive in the middle of the "Save As" process. BUT the file is corrupted as when I try to open it in CS5 an "End of Line Error" comes up.

Using the "Save As" (the same file and settings) to a internal HD instead of the USB Flash Drive, everything works normal. No hanging or anything. File opens fine in CS5.

I'd have to suspect some interaction with the USB driver and the OS then.  PM just uses standard system calls to open/create/write/close files and doesn't have any differences in the save as code for different types of devices.

I suggest saving to your HD from PM and later doing a copy with the OS to the USB Flash Drive.  If it still hangs when using the OS to copy the files, I would return the USB Flash Drive for a refund.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Re: "Save As" does not work to USB Flash Drive
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I'd have to suspect some interaction with the USB driver and the OS then.  PM just uses standard system calls to open/create/write/close files and doesn't have any differences in the save as code for different types of devices.

I suggest saving to your HD from PM and later doing a copy with the OS to the USB Flash Drive.  If it still hangs when using the OS to copy the files, I would return the USB Flash Drive for a refund.

Copy, move etc. works fine to and from the USB Flash Drive using the OS. Also "Copy" from within PM works fine. Just the "Save As" gives problems.

But it's not a big deal. As you suggested I'll just make a temp folder on the HD to save the new files to and then copy them from there.

Thanks,
Juerg